Friday, November 28, 2008

An Evening At Home

We have finished our supper and made some tea. The sun has set. Papa is reading his mail and enjoying listening to our daughter play a medly of piano pieces from a Victorian music book called "Melodies of Days Gone By." It makes me smile to imagine a family of the 19th century listening to the same tunes and thinking how they would have felt. The music is just wonderful. Her husband is tinkering with an architecture project for his class, and their children are inventing games to play with each other. I am relaxing after a few huge cleaning projects (bathroom, laundry room) and thinking about all kinds of glittery things with shapes and uses. I wish everyone was having a happy evening like this, without suffering criticism












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

+
This is just beautiful! Just before I came to the computer, I was thinking about how my brothers and sisters criticize and judge what we do in our family and how I am not looking forward to our Christmas get together, for this reason. And I read this.
Thank you, you are a blessing. Antonia

Lydia said...

We try to be careful not to be critical or accusatory in our home. A house divided against itself cannot stand. You will notice that critical people have many problems in their own families.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a *lovely* evening! (o:

Karen said...

If more people spent evenings like this, there would truly be "peace on earth". Thank you for setting an example for others in these times. We have to keep up the kindness & civility you are describing in spite of today's depressing news headlines. I recently went back and re-read your series on frugality which I think was posted in April, 6 months before the economic crisis! It was good to re-read all your insights.

Deirdra Doan said...

HI, Lydia, It was wonderful to meet you today! I look forward to sending you photo's and links of John's video's. Just came for a quick peek at your blog and "The Pleasant Times"blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us a 'view' into your evening. I sense a deep contentment. May you feel revived and encouraged, after the many years of continued effort of guarding your home, always endeavouring to do the best for your family. It can be very hard work and never-ending but the rewards are blissful. Love, L.M.L.