Saturday, December 13, 2014

Current Events at Home


                                     
 Good morning, dear ladies,

The world's bad news dominates our lives in many ways. Even if you do not read it online or subscribe to it, all you have to do is go through the grocery store check-out and see the blaring headlines. Does this ever cause you to wake up in the morning filled with a sense of foreboding, and dread of the day?  

Some scriptures that come to the point concerning the subject of fear:



For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

  Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.  Psalm 27:3



      

       One of my own "dreads" is that a post will disappear, as this one did a few minutes ago, requiring me to remember what I wrote and reconstruct it.   

Today I want to share a few events at home, to illustrate that what we do at home is really more in tune with what we need and what others need. Let the news media blast forth its terror but let us not take that fear into our hearts, for we know that a peaceful home-life calms many a troubled heart.

                                            

        That is why on this post I am sharing some small moments that might be considered trivial to some, but which are important to others, especially ladies in the home. Critics may say a homemaker's interests are trivial or material, but everything I am sharing today has the basic spiritual reason of looking after the homes this is something The Lord cared enough about to leave instructions for in many parts of the scriptures. 

These miniature bananas, above are just perfect for adults, too, especially people who only want half a regular sized banana. I suppose I am behind the trend, but I just discovered that this works better for us! No leftovers and no waste and no ugly black on the raw ends.
                               
The cups are awaiting anyone who wants to set a spell and have a refreshment. Not everyone drinks hot tea, but the tea cups are used for juice and any beverage. It makes the moment an event, as opposed to eating and drinking on the run.
                                 

        I wanted to share this old-timey looking lantern, above, in which I placed a scented light. These days, if you do not use wax candles, you can get led-lite candles that have a scent. This candle is called "Christmas Morning" and smells like fresh baked cookies and cream.




     These are close-ups of dollar store decorations on a small tree I have, that was my first artificial tree. I used one roll of wired ribbon that matched the magnolia flowers and the styrofoam balls. Keep in mind that dollar stores sell these things in multiples, so they actually cost less than a dollar.

                          
My guest room this season is a snow white cover accented with bright cushions.
                             

                                  If you are a lady at home trying to live on your income and not cause too much extra expense, how about these slippers from the dollar store for family and friends?  I was hesitant at first, because you have to be careful buying cheap things that will be used a lot and get a lot of wear, but so far, these have served me well.           

       

The side-view shows how thick the soles are. 
                                 
Another view of the little tree on an old metal flower cart, which was one of my very first furniture purchases. The magnolia flowers have a clip on the back, making them easy to attach.  
                                  
I wanted to share this journal because someone made it for me and it has given me such a lift. She simply used a composition book and decorated it with scrapbooking embellishments,
and made a book for me to use for Bible study notes.
Inside, she prepared a few pages to get me started:
It is a delight to use something so sweet and feminine.
Below, I used the book while I enjoyed a few morning moments. The candle is chocolate scented, and I won't say where I got it, because you probably can guess, judging  from this post.
The teacup, below, came from a thrift store. It has no markings on it to indicate anything about it. It came with a tag that said, "as-is, $1.00" and there was a chip on the plate.
So I just want you to know that you do not have to live in fear and you can do things that soothe you and put your mind at ease. If the world around you, even the unhappy social things or the personal threats  that go on in your life can be somewhat alleviated by doing what is good and right at home.

I appreciate all your wise comments and the sweetness you show. Thank you for dropping by for a virtual visit to my home.

Blessings,

If the world's bad news still makes you uneasy, this song might help. Just click on the picture below.

14 comments:

Finding Joy said...

What a sweet post. I know how annoying it is to loose everything just written, I often write my posts in Word and copy them across, that way I have a copy just in case something goes wrong.

I am glad to hear your slippers have lasted the miles as I bought a cheap pair and they only lasted a few weeks and fell apart. I went back to paying a lot more. The note book is such a lovely gift to receive, I am sure it will give you much pleasure.

To be honest, I don’t ever wake with a sense of dread, I wake with a complete sense of joy that it is a new day, the sun is shinning, the birds are singing and I praise the Lord for all that He provides. Living in fear means not trusting in the Lord to care for us which He will, even if we are in the middle of some bad situation. Reading the bible and leaning on the Lord is all I need for those unpleasantries.

Lydia said...

Jo, it is good that you do not have a problem with fear.

For those who do, I hope this post provides some peace.

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Lady Lydia,

Thank you for all that you share to encourage others! May you be blessed for being a light unto the world, and may you have a wonderful Christmas season.

Love,

Marqueta

Dawn said...

Lady Lydia, reading your blog is very soothing and uplifting after being exposed to all the bad news that never seems to end.

Your little tree is so pretty, and I always enjoy your photos of your home and craft/sewing projects. You have so many good ides.

I look forward to every new post.

Blessed Homemaking said...

I agree your blog is so soothing and uplifting! I can always count on it for encouragement. I appreciate your wisdom to not focus on bad news and such, and I appreciate Jo's comment on how she wakes up every day--what a blessing!

Fear is still something I struggle with sometimes because of things I have gone through and still have to go through. But we must learn to trust the Lord through the valleys and rely on Him when we are going through things we cannot change.

Christine said...

Dear Lydia,
What a lovely and timely post which I read not long after awakening this morning ☺️
It is far too easy to become heavy-hearted and discouraged when we watch the news, read the paper, or even follow too much social media.
You have once again reminded me of the importance of guarding my heart, and trusting the Lord.. Also about using sensibility and not allowing myself to be immersed in bad news.
The photos are lovely, and I really like the journal. So much so, I may make one for myself..

Blessings,

Always Learning said...

Thank you for a good word in the midst of a turbulent world. “Anxiety in the heart of a man weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.” Prov. 12:25
We should not be surprised it is turbulent when we remember who is the prince of the power of the air but then we also remind ourselves that the Lord is sovereign over all, He is on His throne and we know how it will all turn out!

Andrea R said...

You are such an encouragement.

You are earning many crowns in Heaven for the lovely, dedicated and difficult work you do here on Earth for advancing His Kingdom by example.

God Bless you today!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder that fear is not of the Lord. Your ability to share things that lift our eyes to Jesus is a gift. You are a blessing.
Hugs from Shirley in Virginia

Mrs. Cote said...

I always leave your blog feeling calmed and soothed. It is definitely a bright spot in the darkness. Some blogs make me feel my home will never measure up. Yours makes me feel I can! Some go into how un-Christian the world is and are critical often even of other Christians. I never feel that here either. Instead I feel the courage to focus on the only little corner of this world I can make a better place! I really can't thank you enough! God bless you and your family!

Katrinka said...

About 3 years ago I bought a large journal and the cover was a color that wasn't my favorite. I looked on youtube and found a simple tutorial on how to cover a book. I found some sturdy Christmas wrap that I liked... it was somewhat like brown grocery paper but with fruit and flowers on it in muted shades. I covered this large journal book and I use it nearly everyday, plus it gets moved around and things get put on top of it and that cover is still in good shape. The edges are a little worn, but it just adds to the charm.

A. Law said...

Dear Lydia,
Thank you for such a calming and encouraging post.
I am so thankful that you use your talent to help others.
A. Law

Anonymous said...

Good evening Lydia...I have enjoyed your post so much. I don't read the news, neither by newspaper, nor by the Web. I find that it keeps me too focus on the here and now, instead of looking around and seeing my blessings.

Since I have stopped, I have become much happier and the joy I find on the everyday, is my Lord's gift to me.

Thank you so much for sharing Lydia...by the way, your new look is just lovely.

mari

Rita said...

I really like the inexpensive slippers as a gift. Any other ideas would be much appreciated. I just started my journal so it is very nice to see yours.