Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Effect of Color in the Home


Good morning, ladies. A reader sent me this picture from Victorian Trading Company.  The interior is lovely, too, with the curved windows and alcove. Years ago it was possible to buy curved curtain rids to use on an ordinary window, giving a plain house an extraordinary look. I like the red roses in this covering. A smaller size would brighten a couch, especially on dark days.

Different colors have different effects on people and proclaim a mood or an occasion.  I once taught a ladies class featuring the colors mentioned in the Bible and their purpose.  I will try to do that here one day also.

If you are new to this blog, please click on the links on my blogroll on the left. These blogs invite you for a glimpse into other people's homes.

There is a good comment about using color on the walls so please click on comments to read it.

Ephesians 5:1  Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

Eph 5:2  And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.



4 comments:

living from glory to glory said...

Dear Lydia, I think the bed covering was very elegant! I think Roses always look rich and warm! I noticed the color of that wall, really, was rich and bold! I will be sewing some new drapes for my living room, hopefully soon :o)
Roxy

Lydia said...

Roxy I love those bold roses but am always hesitant to put up curtains or other furnishings in that color, as it is usually expensive and I don't know if people in my home will tire of it quickly, a bedspread can be imitated from a cheaper source and it can be changed. Inhopento get your drapes finished.

Unknown said...

This is a pretty room. I tend more toward light and pastel colors, but this is very elegant. Victorian Trading Company sends me their catalogs in the mail. I cut pictures out of them and use them in my homemaking notebook. I have bought tea cups from them also. Their catalogs are pretty and can make nice scrap book art.

anonymous said...

The rose bed cover and matching pillows are just beautiful.

I want to encourage everyone not to be afraid to add color. Paint is the least expensive item to change in a home and it makes the biggest impact.
When we built our home the contractor became insulting to us when I wanted my walls painted different colors for each room. He thought everything should have been painted white.

I assured him the colors would work out well, that he wouldn't notice the colors so much after furnishings, window treatments and wall art were added. I invited him to come by and see the home after we had unpacked.

We chose a med. and lt. cocoa brown for our neutral walls, almond for the ceilings, muted slate blue for bedrm #1, soft eggshell pink for bedrm #2, muted lavender for bedrm #3 and a muted mint green for the master bathrm.

The wood trim throughout the house is a rich off-white with deep muted rose brown for the carpeting.

The contractor was very surprised how the co-ordinating colors worked for the house. He was so impressed that he used our house for his advertisement in the phone book and asked many times to bring people over to see his work.

Janet Westrup.