Thursday, January 28, 2016

Contentment in the Home (Video 4)

The Little Shepherdess by Johann Baptiste Hoffner

Contentment means "to be satisfied" and also means "to please." It includes a feeling of satisfaction and a quiet, settled happiness.

It is easy, in any place, to become restless and anxious, but the home is a place where contentment is advantageous even into the future.

As a homemaker, doing the same things multiple times and trying to be happy about it can be a challenge, but I believe it is God's will to be content, so here are some things you might try, in order to gain contentment.

Pray for contentment.  Though we may think we can do everything on our own, it is God who enables us. If we ask for contentment, we may receive help, and somehow we become more aware of the avenues of contentment.

Set yourself on a course of personal improvement by correcting your faults, serving others in your family, learning something and adding good character qualities. You might want more discernment, nobility, be able to recognize truth, develop things that are good and lovely etc. (Philippians 4:819), or, there might be physical things you want to improve, such as better health and adequate rest. You might list social skills like learning more about hospitality and courtesy.  Maybe you want to dress better everyday at home. These are all things on a self-improvement list that improve your quality of life and your contentment.

Sort things and list things. I hope there are other ladies out there my age who remember listing and organizing everything they owned. It increased a feeling of contentment. I suppose today it would increase contentment if we listed everything we owned and tried to eliminate half of it. As we grow older we naturally accumulate a lot!

Finish something or accomplish something. Completing one task or finishing an old project produces contentment.

Take your time, not to delay, but to allow your mind to dwell on what you are doing and give it time to catch up with your actions. Rushing can bring on a feeling of anxiety and panic. To produce contentment, take your time doing a small task.

Block out the world with all its stress. An old hymn says, "Take time to be holy: the world rushes on."  In every era, people have experienced the same anxiety about life going past too fast. It will slow down when you personally slow down and take time to be holy. "Holy" means to set apart. It means to get away from the world. You can do that in your own home by allowing yourself to be still and to dwell on something good and lovely. 

The Bible says: "Godliness with contentment is great gain."
 (1 Timothy 6:6), and "Be content with such things as ye have." (Hebrews 13:5)

I hope you enjoy this video and will excuse that I fumble about so much. I am learning how to edit and will become more confident at this, I hope. I do have a remote...somewhere...and will be content when I can use it to aid in making videos.



                  ;



Someone is probably going to ask about this light blue cardigan so I am posting pictures here. It is by Faded Glory and has a lot of rayon in it, which is comfortable--not too hot, amd just right for wearing at home.
                       
I like the knitted ribbing going completely around the garment from the neck to the front and again around the back. The piece at the back waist gives it a nice shape.  These were on sale in several colors some time ago, at Walmart. They style looks like something that might be easy to knit or crochet.

                          

I have been amused at some of the emails I get regarding the videos: they all ask where I got the sweater I am wearing :-)

18 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Lydia, you're a graceful and gifted teacher. This is such a thoughtfully presented video and what a great lesson to apply to our daily lives. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Toni

Lydia said...

Congratulations, Toni on being the first to comment :-)

Christine said...

Dear Lydia,
I am enjoying your posts and accompanied videos so much. It is lovely to be able to put a voice to the beautiful instructions and guidance you have written for so long.
I plan to review this series often, and yes, your sweater is lovely!

Blessings to you and thank you for presenting these thoughtful videos.

Christine

Laura Jeanne said...

Thank you for this video, Lydia. I especially appreciate the reminder not to rush through tasks. I am very bad for that - rushing around in a panic because I feel like there is so much to do and I will never get it all done. The end result is that nothing gets done properly. I find that when I remember to complete a task slowly and thoughtfully, the job is better done and I feel more satisfied than if I had done several things poorly.

Ellen Seagren said...

Your videos are a very nice addition to the blog. You have a lovely voice to listen to!

Gayle said...

I loved this. "Take time to be holy, the world rushes on" is so true. I am guilty of rushing and trying to get it done as fast as I can, because mentally I am thinking of everything that waits to be done. These videos are so well on point, I am enjoying them all. I love seeing what background you will have with your outfit. You always look so pretty. It is nice to come to a blog and be uplifted.

Lydia said...

Thank you for your compliments and comments.

littlegraycottage said...

I was so happy to see a new video up (I check every day to see if there is a new one) So happy to be able to visit with you in this way. You are such an uplifting lady to spend time with. We ladies are all blessed to have these modern tools to reach out and encourage one another with.
Have a lovely day.
Shirley

Lydia said...

It is so good to see ypu online again, Shirlet. Your blog is so beautifyl and restful.

Debbie Gnagey said...

I was so happy to see your video in my e-mail! It is always uplifting and encouraging to reinforce the values that we know are right. When you were speaking of making lists of what we own I was reminded of something that I sometimes do. I like to sit in a room and pretend to give a house tour and go around the room from top to bottom clockwise and just mentally list each item and where it came from. Many of the items that make our house a home have been part of both my husband and my childhood homes as we have both lost our mothers and I have also lost my Dad. Others items were gifts from our family or friends and makes me once again appreciate all they have done for us ...sort of a gift that keeps on giving. It encourages me to see my home afresh and want to keep things as nice as I can while still remembering those who made a home special before me. I love your videos.

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

Love the sweater. I might have to venture to Walmart to see if they have some.
Please say some prayers on Wed 2/3. I'm having a heart procedure and I'm a little scared. I've been praying for composure and for a good result. Thanks.

Christine said...

You come across in your video so well. So sweet!
I have learned that contentment is worth learning and achieving.

Mrs. U said...

I love your videos!!!!!! Since I can't sit down and chat with you in real life, I almost feel like I can do it via video. :)

Ladies these days get so distracted by the Internet and/or electronic devices. When my mother was raising us, the big distraction was soap operas. What does a typical day look like for you? And do you get online at all or have a schedule for such a thing daily? Weekly?

His
Shari

Helen Threlfo said...

Dear Lydia,
Thank you for making this video on contentment. I also want to comment on your beautiful presentation, the thought that you put into your backgrounds, and your lovely lady like manner.
It is a joy to learn in such an atmosphere. I value the points that you raised....particularly about taking time to do tasks and shutting out the world. So often in my work at home here, I am interrupted with people sending me messages on my phone. As I have an elderly mother, and a son overseas working, I always check in case I am needed.
It can sometimes leave me feeling like I am constantly giving attention rather than keeping my mind quietly on my work.
For me being contented is being grateful. If I find my contentment slipping, it's normally a result of comparing my circumstances to someone else.
Thank you so much for taking the time to make these beautiful videos.
Kind Regards, Helen

Lydia said...

Amulbunny..memorize a Psalm before you go, and say it mentally before thenprocedure, as often as you can.

Helen, your mother and son take priority. I was referring to the world's continual bad news and the distraction of commercial things.

Thanknyou fornyour comments!

Courtney Downs said...

Thank you for your video! I enjoyed watching!

Traditional Simplicity said...

Dear Lydia! Thank you for doing videos, especially this one about contentment. You spoke of making a list of things to improve yourself, that really spoke to me. As well as God talking about being content. He has been speaking to me in many ways about this: slow down, be aware of what you have, be content. It so easy to get caught up in "oh today is Thursday, Groceries. Got to get that done and while I'm out XYZ too!" And just rush off. I like what you spoke of about taking our time and enjoying the process. Thank you for being HIs instrument to encourage.

Peace be with you,
Dee

LogansMom122911 said...

I really enjoy posts like this. I take a moment to stand at the counter and read one (or even just 1/3 of one) while my children are coloring. I like to save the rest for later. I really enjoy your perspectives and wisdom. (I have told you that before.) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...