Monday, July 25, 2016

Easy Sewing: Girls Skirts and Tops



A few weeks ago I enjoyed sewing these things, using inexpensive girls t-shirts, under $3.00 apiece.

I bought two cotton t-shirts for each project, and cut one of the t-shirts into strips, the largest strip for the waistband. The pattern includes the waistband piece. The other strips were used to make ruffles on the shirt. 



This is the skirt pattern,  girls sizes beginning with size 8, which requires knit fabric  fabric for the waistband. I used t-shirts because it was more economical and a perfect match of waistband and top. The pattern recommends thin cotton or gauze fabric for the skirt, and I can see the regular cotton skirt is not as roomy, so the next time I make these, I will use a different fabric than the tightly woven quilting cotton.
 There are so many ways to place the ruffles: circular, diagonal, vertical, etc.  and many ways to make decorative ruffles. these are so fast and easy to sew, I would like to make them in more colors. 
This Is a  pre-pieced fabric. I would recommend making the skirt area much fuller, while keeping the waistband the right size.

2 comments:

Mrs. Christopher Daniels said...

This is nice Lydia!

Dawn said...

I especially like how you put the ruffles on the diagonal on the hot pink t-shirt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...