It has been so busy here at home this last week but I managed to try a new dress pattern for another mother-daughter set. As I explained in one of my previous sewing posts, these are dresses for the home.
To make the neckline sit better on the shoulder area I inserted a piece of paper inside the pattern and re-drew it. The dress has side pockets, and a tie belt. I added my own style of sleeve by expanding the pattern sleeve and making a cuff, on which I sewed some of the tulle trim from Hobby Lobby which was discounted. Tulle trim is feather soft. The fabric is also from Hobby Lobby but is available at Joann Fabrics and in other places.
The pattern was a longer length than the picture on the envelope shows, so I have to take off some of the hem. Although the garment looked very cute in the illustration, I do not think I will sew it again.
However, if you do use this pattern the way it is with no changes made, it will sew up quite quickly.
The waist line was a little lower than I expected, and I am already thinking of making another dress in its place from an older pattern I like better.
When sewing from patterns, I prefer those that do not have to be altered or tweaked. I like it to work well the first time I use it. I will post the daughter and grandmother dresses here on this page when I get them finished.
These were two 2016 patterns.This pattern had a placket in the skirt that had to overlap when sewn on to the bodice--not a challenge for beginners.
I think the patterns that have worked the best for me have been the German patterns called NeuMode and the 1980's Lanz and Laura Ashley. However, I am trying the new ones as they come on sale and I like some of the styles.
My dress: the hem was not finished but I wore it anyway.