Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Would Like To Make



This ad just came from Victorian Trading Co. featuring a beautiful cape.  Ladies sometimes email me about things like this they have purchased and suggest it might be easy to sew. Due to financial cautions, I have to look for ways to make things, and I wonder how this could be made. If I can  figure out what the shape is, it might be feasible to sew from fleece.

When sewing fleece, remember to change ypur machine needles to non-woven. It will tell on the package. They are available at Walmart. Machine needles for woven fabrics seem to work alright, but the needles for synthetics and knits are ball points that separate the fabric enough to get inside of the fabric to sew it. I hope that makes sense. I will explain more about fabric some time and help you make a little scrapbook of samples and descriptions.

Some ladies who have ordered fleece capes and shawls express dismay at the thin material and high price. If you can examine the garment and see the shape, it might be possuble to make it, even without sewing.


9 comments:

Maggie said...

That's very pretty. For those that would love to find a pattern to sew this or something they can modify to look like this need to look on Pinterest or www.allfreesewing.com for a pattern. There's tons of free patterns on the internet. I'm pretty sure I've "pinned" a link on Pinterest for a free pattern for something like this.

God's Grace Overflows said...

What a pretty cape! I'm not much for sewing, but love the way the cape flows and the color is my favorite! :)

Have a delightful week, Lydia!

Hugs, Amy

Dawn said...

What a pretty cape! It looks to be in the basic ruana shape, a rounded rectangle with a hole for your neck and split down the middle.

I think could you make one by buying a length of fleece, probably two yards. Fold it half and round off the corners. Then slit it half-way up, cut a circle for the neckline, and round-off the corners at the bottom of the slit. Then you'd need extra fleece to make the ruffle all around.

As I recall, you made some pretty fleece capes in the past.

Lydia said...

Dawn, yes, it does appear to be the same shape as the rhuana shawl, which is a rectangle cut up the front.

Jane said...

I have a similar shawl that I bought at a thrift store. It is just a rectangle with ruffles around all four sides. Anyone that can sew could easily make one. That is, if they don't mind making all those ruffles!

Hugs
Jane

ladypinktulip said...

What a beautiful shawl! Kelly T.

anonymous said...

Love that shawl, so feminine.
I made my great-granddaughters each a poncho from a piece of fleece today took all of about five mins.
I cut out a circle and divided it in two. From there I made a slit about 5" long for their head from the center and they fit just right.
Thank you for the idea. Now the girls are comfy-cozy.

Janet

Lydia said...

Thanks for giving me a great idea, Janet

Lydia said...

Thank you, too Maggie. I will do that.