Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Quiet Time For That Anxious Feeling



Even until very recently I had the custom of diving into the daily housework and routine of the house, and even bigger jobs, as soon as the day began. Now, I have been going "out" for morning tea and trying to break into the day more slowly and gracefully.


It does make the tasks begin later and end later in the day, but nothing can replace those fleeting morning moments. The birds aren't even awake yet but the chirps begin one at a time until others join in and the trees sing in a full orchestra.  It is so interesting how they never sing the same tune but nothing sounds discordant.


This morning I have a mismatched cup and saucer that go together just right.



I wanted to share this nice picnic basket I got on sale at Hobby Lobby for half price. I am so glad I waited for the price to be reduced.  I like it a lot better than the wicker ones, because it isn't so heavy and the wood fibers won't catch on anything. I have not tested how it will carry weightier things but the handles seem strong enough.


It comes in lime green also, and another color...maybe blue.
Some of my friends and I have been discussing feeling of being anxious to get home during times when we have had to be out and about.  Sometimes we were not sure it was normal to feel this way.
Are we having a panic attack or is it really something to do with having to be home; to feel anchored, stable and reassured.  I am sure some people mistake this for "separation anxiety" and if it is, there isn't a thing wrong with it!
A feeling to flee home is probably a signal to your mind that you need to go back to your nest.  I get that feeling sometimes when I have to be gone a lot for necessary errands, or if I am delayed in getting home.  There were a few times when I got a feeling I needed to go home immediately. In the past I wish I had gone with this instinct, because I now know you can never recover the time that passed by.

The feeling of longing for home is something God put in us as women, who create these nice places with good memories for our families.  Sometimes we think there is something better going on "out there" but really, what is important to a woman personally and have lasting value, will be the love and care she put into her home life.  That could be why we have such a strong desire to be home.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are times when those feelings are so hard to ignore that I know I'm meant to return as soon as possible... back to the cottage... to my humble place and my loving family. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this :-)

That is one lovely basket ...

Blessed Homemaking said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that urge to flee home some times. I love having a respite from the world at home.

Unknown said...

Oh I love your aesthetic, even down to the simplest things you buy!
I always feel homesick as well, even after a somewhat long day I already want to go home, work from home and especially homemaking.

Unknown said...

Oh I really love your aesthetic, even the smallest things you get!
I also get anxious and homesick, even just after a somewhat long day. I just want to go home and even work from there, especially housework.

Jenny said...

It is a very real feeling, Lydia. Once I'm home, the relief is so comforting.

Unknown said...

I know this feeling. Even more so, I rarely feel like LEAVING home. In the circumstances where I have to go away...I can't wait to get back home. I love how you said," back to our nest".
One day I was trying to get some small "decoration" or another put in place, ( can't remember what). My husband came home a little earlier than I expected and I said," Oh! I was hoping to have this done so it would look nice for you!!". His response was, " ...it looks like home to me, and that's always good". That just made me so happy!!
God bless
Mrs.O

Lynn said...

Your new picnic basket is so nice! I don't have a local Hobby Lobby I am sad to say.

Paulina Marie said...

How very true, Lady Lydia. I love being home more than anything. Even though I am in my early 20s, I have never felt the urge to travel the world (as seems to be the case with most of my peers). No, I am quite content to remain in my cozy nest with my children. When we do venture out, it is always nearby - to our local library, the park, the grocery store, etc. Having a love for the home is a beautiful thing in a woman!

living from glory to glory said...

Well, this was a post that was very much needed by me! Thank you! I have been feeling more of that these last few years. And I now know I must listen to that feeling. Home is the best place to be on most days. Yes, we do need to shop and go to appointments, but too much being away from home is very unsettling now a days!
Love the photos!
Miss you Dear Friend, Roxy

Lisa Sadler said...

We live in a small town with only an overpriced, limited stock grocery store, so for nearly 20 years I've had to drive an hour away in one direction, or a half hour away in another to stock up on supplies and food we can't get here. It involves often being gone for 6-7 hours and "running" from place to place and carrying things from the store to the car and then of course unloading and putting everything away when I return. Initially, I usually have energy and I'm ok with being around a bunch of people. That lasts about 2 hours. Then I'm stressed and exhausted and hungry and have to have lunch and get home asap! But I still have to go to several more places.

While I like the fact that we have a low crime rate and quiet, lovely surroundings to live in ... having to travel to buy clothes and supplies regularly just wears me out.

I love being home.

Dawn said...

I've always loved being at home. Every day as a child in school, I couldn't wait for the day to end so I could go home. Same thing when I worked in an office for 11 years.

Even now, if I'm out more than a couple of hours, I keep wishing I was back home. Most weeks I only leave home to go to church and get groceries.

My husband asks me if I ever get bored, and I don't. I'm never bored at home. I suppose it helps that I am an introvert and don't need lots of social contact.

Home is the best place to be.

anonymous said...

East, West, Home is Best is an old saying and for me it is so true. It is my sanctuary from the intrusion of the world. I try to keep it comforting and peaceful. When something upsets the peace, I get unsettled and must get to a quiet place for a few moments and seek the face of the Lord. His Spirit quiets and settles me.

Since watching my two great-granddaughts 22 hrs a day and 4 days a week, I've not had time to enjoy my housework as before. I love the little girls and teaching them of the Lord is a real pleasure. Probably the reason for my being.
I find that I miss going into my garden each morning and listening to the birds and crickets sing. The Holy Spirit meets me there.
So I throw open the windows of the house and seek the Holy Spirit listening for His voice as I make beds, dress the girls for the day and start the routine work. It is a nice alternative start.

Thank you for this calming post,
Janet

Unknown said...

I thought there was something wrong with me! I thought it was anxiety. Thank you for this post. It is so encouraging to know it's not only me, that our longing to be at home is a lovely thing.