Saturday, February 09, 2013

Foggy-Chic Fashion



I once believed that if you had seen one fog picture you had seen them all, and then, I found there was river fog, as you see in the picture, above, 

mountain fog, 

farm fog, 

and small town fog. I am looking forward to seeing beach fog soon.

This light blue, soft fabric expresses the fog fashion season. I have  constructed a coat from the cheapest fleece I could find, and made it for a total of $12.00. 

The nice thing about  having  a  fashion show in this weather is that you do not have to use a fake fog machine.
The back belt or tab was made by twisting fabric and adding a button.

A generous ruffle cascades in the front, and there are no buttons in the front. 

This was the pattern I used: 99cents at Walmart, designed for thin knits. I extended it to a long coat. To give it a "frustration rating" from zero to five, I would say that an inexperienced sewer would find it a five. It was fast to make, but had a quirky back neckline. The front is a long piece sewn around the back piece. I would not recommend it if you are not a confident sewer. I have done this type of thing before with a bolero jacket, so I was familiar with it.

 Also, it is good to note that fleece is not always stretchy all ways, like knits. The kind I use only stretches form east to west, not north to south.  I got the idea for these fleece coats (I've made a pink one, previously) from seeing what the manufacturers are doing with fleece in the sportswear catalogs. It is being made into jackets with hoods and many outdoor things, including gloves.

The sleeves have been made longer and altered quite a bit from the original pattern.

For those who do not live in a foggy climate, this is what it is like: it feels like a soft, moist air on your face, finer than the lightest sprinkling of rain and more gentle than mist.

With a wide headband, I made a fascinator-hat. It was done with a combination of sewing and hot glue. 


I did not have the foggiest notion how to go about making the kind of hat I had in mind, so sewed a strip of fabric into  graduated sized loops and twisted and glued them on to a wide headband.




I have altered the back band, to make it more comfortable,
and have made blueberry tea using frozen blueberries,
served with blueberry bread,
on a table cloth made of some of the leftover blue fleece fabric,
and have sprinkled the table with the violas that are peeking through the fog. They have a candy-like scent.

27 comments:

Blessed Homemaking said...

It's all beautiful, Lydia!

Anonymous said...

I like that color on you very much.

Such a great idea to match the headband bow to the bow twist belt and the lantern was the perfect accessory.

You must have a Maid of the Mist Tea now.
Perhaps hot blueberry muffins with lemon curd, peach jam and hot Yorkshire Gold tea with cream and sugar.

Thank you for sharing Lydia, this is fun.

Mrs. J.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you didn't have the FOGGIEST idea how to make a hat with the fleece...however, you did a great job of it! And a beautiful shade of blue...I have seen that pattern and am amazed at your transformation of it into a beautiful coat. More inspirations from Lady Lydia!
LM

Lydia said...

The coat has a 1950's look, I think.
I plan to make more of this type of thing, using dress patterns.

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed discovering your blog.
Thank you for such sweet encouragement and lovely ideas.
Shirley

Dolores said...

You look beautiful, Lady Lydia! Love the fleece coat.

Julian said...

That was truly beautiful! You have such talent to sew! I love the fog pictures,the softness and the glow of light.
Blessings, christina

Anonymous said...

Oh, so cute. What a great post.

Anonymous said...

We're having snow fog today. Gloomy, foggy, snowing. Please do a snow fog tea! Great winter treat. I'll make a cream tea today for snow fog!

Lydia said...

I will try to add the tea to the bottom of this post.

Anonymous said...

You can type in "snow fog" and click on images and see pictures. Looks similar to your pictires.

Lydia said...

I will do that. There is snow on the hills, so it is possible that is snow fog here.

Lydia said...

When making a coat or dress from a jacket or blouse pattern, you have to gradually draw the line wider, flaring it, as you lengthen it. It cannot just be drawn straight down from the waist.

Anonymous said...

I like how you're not afraid to try new things with your sewing. Here, I'm a strong & fast knitter, but I tend to be very reluctant to forge ahead with something unfamiliar when it comes to sewing. This year I'm making it a goal of mine to increase my sewing skills, & move ahead despite my fears! I think I'd describe myself as an intermediate sewist. I really want to move beyond that.

Thanks for your "foggy" posts, so full of pretty things to look at and ponder.

Brenda

Lydia said...

Brenda, I, too, tend to stick to tried and true patterns but this year wanted to find out what something would look like sewn with unusual fabrics. The reason I like to sew with cheaper fabrics is that I can experiment without a huge investment.

This week I hope to post some more fog fashions, using the deep, dark shady colors like purples, as well as some of the light colors like whites, off-whites, blue-whites.

I started experimenting with patterns when the sleeves changed from full and puffed and interesting shapes, to the flat sleeve with no tucks or any interest. I learned how to put a favorite sleeve into a new pattern and that was the beginning of exploring new ideas in sewing.

Alex said...

The coat is really lovely the colour and style suits you very well. I just have basic sewing skills but feel inspired! I'd like to to try something like this...but some parts would definitely be shrouded in MIST -ery!
xx

Lydia said...

ha.ha.

Lydia said...

Please note I have added the matching fog tea to this post.

Mama Said No said...

As always, your post was delightful. I just lef the store, but I'm going to have to stop back in on my way home for frozen blueberries--I HAVE to try that tea! Lovely coat.

Lydia said...

If you put the berries directly in the teapot they might clog up the spout. I have a tea strainer I set inside the pot. Also it can be made by pouring boiling water over them in a pan and then straining the water into the teapot. It is easier to pour into a teacup from the teapot. Add honey for sweetening or just drink it tart.

Anonymous said...

You're so pretty! And the coat and headband are very lovely! Wish I could try your yummy tea and scones!
--Liora

Nadege said...

That coat is stunning on you. What creativity.

Thank you so much for all the encouragement you've given to us.

Nadege

Anonymous said...

We have a little fog in Alabama, but it disappears by lunch. The photos are so pretty and the coat is beautiful on you. I have really enjoyed the "foggy" posts, Thanks!!

Mrs. Crane said...

I am so enjoying reading your fog tea posts. I love seeing what you are sewing. I don't know how anyone can say they are bored being home!I have so many things to do I must choose each day! Today I am covering the cushions on one fo my rocking chairs.. the wicker one I keep in my bedroom :) I didn't have the money for the fabric so went to the thrift store and bought curtains.. for another chair in the living room, I got a bedspread. I have 3 chairs to do.. I love our thrift store!

Gayle said...

What a beautiful post.I love the coat and hat, you look so pretty in them,and the tea in the same theme of things is an elegant finish.I have so looked forward to your posts,they have been inspiring and uplifting.

Sarah Coller said...

This is just adorable---I'm really diggin' this fog theme lately!

I'm hosting my Homemaking Linkup Weekend and would love to have you join, if you'd like!

Have a great day!
Mrs. Sarah Coller

Lydia said...

Thank you so much for reminding me. I will be glad to join.