Thursday, July 27, 2023

As Usual at the Manse

Hello Everyone,

We are keeping up with things as much as possible.

We celebrated our daughter’s birthday. Sadly I was never good at party decor and the event was not fancy. I opted to invest in the gift instead of balloons and wrapping paper. We filled this small set of drawers with fabric, patterns, shoes, and a teacup. That is,  I put bubble wrap in one of the baskets and told her to pick out a cup from the china cabinet. She can fit the little cabinet in a small place in her house.
After feeling some remorse at the lack of festive birthday decor, I decided she should have some balloons but it was too late to go to the dollar store so I grabbed what I could:

King Arthur hard red wheat flour—never bleached and never bromated. The bags were empty and my mother showed us how to use all grocery packaging for other things—even wrapping paper. This homemade balloon was more meaningful because our daughter has been cooking for a long, long time.

I had planned to show how to make this decorative pillow in 3 minutes but didn’t get pictures so I will tell you here. Roll up a towel or fold a small blanket in the shape you want. Place it on a piece of fabric, or something like a shirt or table runner — even a scarf or shawl in the colors you like. Wrap the cloth item around the rolled up towel and tuck in the edges of the cloth. 

Sometimes I do this for a bright spot on a place where it will not be used, and is only decorative. That way, it can be taken apart and used again. If you have no space for extra things, this can impress yourself. You think you have a collection of fancy cushions.


Our granddaughter, Miss Lillian, the one who sews without patterns, helped with her mothers birthday by making a cheesecake using cream cheese, heavy whipping cream and fruit.

As I wrote in my previous entry, the younger ones ask permission for everything. So far, no one has asked if it is okay for them to breathe. I was amused when one of her little brothers asked my permission to “imagine”.  I could not figure out why he would need a permit for it but I quickly understood. It involved running, jumping and explosive sound effects from his mouth that sounded like huge vehicles in an industrial zone. We live in the country. People move to the country to get away from noise.There has to be a limit. 


I wish I had more interesting intelligence for you today. My mind is focused on getting the kitchen in order and updating the food supply. 

I will let you in on some of our conversations when I get time. When we are all together we talk about everything—ideas, food, music, spiritual values and “things of great doctrinal importance “ as Mary said in Pride and Prejudice. We have recently been discussing how to preserve our mental and physical energy and spend it on important things. To “discern” is a great advantage. 

You will be happy to know that someone who collects stray farm animals has generously taken the rooster that wandered into our yard. He is better off now.

I think it is important to have a five minute routine of things to do that will set up a balanced mind and body for the day. When there are any interruptions or problems, those little fortifications (a few stretches,, prayer, making lists, bathing and dressing up) can create a shield for unexpected news or any unpleasantness. That routine might help make the day successful.







 

6 comments:

Laura Jeanne said...

Well, those flour bags surely brought more delight to the party than regular balloons would have. They certainly made me laugh! Thank you for a lovely post to read while I sipped my tea this afternoon. :)

Christal said...

So happy to hear the news from the manse, happy birthday to your daughter. Have a blessed weekend 🙏

Caroline’s Cosy Cottage said...

I am so glad that a lovely time was had by all who attended the party ��

Lydia said...

I’m honored you came from a distant country to visit me here in Oregon. History claims that Oregon was slated to become British but didn’t happen

Marianne said...

another delightful post from Miss Lydia!

Mrs Bain said...

Sounds like everyone is having a delightful time.