Photo from www.magnoliahall.comWe need to clean up and beautify our homes to
1. Prevent injuries: Falling over toys, things sticking out on kitchen surfaces, or other objects are the most prominent causes of injuries.
2. Maintain health: Keeping kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms etc. sanitary promotes good health and prevents the spread of bacteria.
3. Increase optimism: A disorganized, messy house makes everyone depressed, especially the homemaker.
4. Teach good manners and appreciation: If it doesn't matter where we put things, or how clean our homes are, family members will not have the right kind of respect for posessions and will have even less respect for one another.
5. So that our homes have a fresh, lovely scent. No matter how many sprays and home scents you buy, the house still has to be clean, first.
The Window Seat by Lidia Dinner from www.allposters.comWe need to have clean, orderly and beautiful homes, because:
1. You will be prepared to call at the spur of the moment and have someone come over for a cup of tea or a heart-to-heart.
2. You won't be embarrassed if someone comes by unexpectedly.
3. You will free your mind and time for other things like catching up on sewing and correspondence, or some other creative work.
4. Cleanliness and order diffuses worry and anxiety. There seems to be less commotion and upheaval in families where everyone takes care with their possessions, puts away shoes and coats, keeps toys in a separate room, and generally looks after things. One lady I know who is now a great-grandmother said to me, "We lived in a small house when our children were little, so I let them play in the living room with their toys. But, half an hour before their father came home, they had to remove them all. I did this out of respect for him."
5. We need clean, orderly homes so that we can find things we need and not have to go out and buy them again.
Victorian Lady 2 by John O'Brien from www.allposters.com