Thursday, February 07, 2013

Fresh Fog Afternoon Tea


The Fog is not as close to home as it has been this past month, but we are still enjoying the special "Fog Tea" to celebrate fog days. It has been a source of anticipation each day. I look for photographic opportunities to capture the different colors of fog in various times throughout the day.

To dispel some of the darkness today I "lit" a led tea-light in my lantern and made up a natural "white tea" with fresh ingredients.
This natural white tea consists of chopped cucumbers, mint leaves and grated lime peel, as you see in rows in the bowl, above.  Try each ingredient alone, or the combination.  
The mixture is placed in a strainer that sits inside a tea pot. These can usually be found in a kitchen store or a tea room that has a tea shop.
Hot water is poured over the mixture, and after a few minutes, the strainer is removed. 
It is not really a tea, since tea leaves are not used, but it makes an interesting hot drink and it is different  and interesting in flavor. Spiced, berries, herbs, fruits and vegetables and a few other foods make delicious "tea."
This is a delicious little salad with par-boiled, or "blanched" broccoli. The broccoli is steamed only until it is bright green but still crisp. The salad greens are curly endive, radicchio, spinach and varieties of lettuce.  It is served with a dressing made of mild olive oil and rice vinegar. If you have never tasted rice vinegar, I highly recommend it, as it has a pleasant taste and not too strong, as are many types of vinegar. It can be used on its own over salad, without the  oil. Tasty chunks of mild white cheese are sprinkled over the salad. Mmmm.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,
how I love your fresh fog tea today. I had a very foggy day yesterday early in the morning. It blanketed our whole yard and field.

I got out the teapot and brewed a tisane similar to yours with herbs and fruit, added homemade soup and a whole wheat tortilla spread with thick Greek yogurt and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash original. Rolled up and cut into shorter logs it was a delicious addition to the soup and tea.

Had no room for dessert.
I enjoyed walking through the mist before it lifted and the sun came shining through.

I see that Spring is close, all my bulbs have sprouted, the Lilacs and blueberries have fat buds on them and little onions and garlics are about 6" tall already.

Thank you for sharing yet another great foggy day tea. Such a blessing.

Mrs. J.

Anonymous said...

So many fog teas! You don't say where you live. Is it east, west, north, and can't be south. South, North Carolina, is where I live and we don't have that much fog.

Yvette said...

Thank you for posting the fog series. You've made something that most consider dreary into something beautiful and to be embraced. What a wonderful motivation to continue on with our homemaking no matter what the weather/circumstances.
God bless!

Mrs. Crane said...

This has been a lovely series.. as soon as I get magenta ink I will be printing the set out for my notebook. I have many notebooks full of articles printed out, I read over and over.. many from when I "met" you on LAF! I was one of your first interviews :)

Julian said...

I am enjoying and admiring the way you turn around what could be a depressing day into something delightful. Thank-you for posting,its always interesting.
Christina

Frugal Family Finds said...

I love the led tea-lights! I've been buying them at the Dollar Tree and they last for quite some time. I love that you can leave them on and not have to worry about a fire starting or wax drippings. Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here in the path of the predicted blizzard, which is going to hit us in the next couple of hours.

I have done all I could to prepare, and now, instead of worrying, I think I will borrow your "foggy day" attitude and make the best of things. It takes a conscious effort at times, to just decide to be happy regardless of circumstances, and you do a lovely job of showing your readers how to do that.

Gayle said...

I have really enjoyed your fog series, it has been fun to see what you come up with each time, and the photos are so pretty.You have to be one of the most creative people ever. Lucky us that you share that on your blog.

Lisa said...

Your idea of making tea out of whatever is at hand is intriguing. Thank you for sharing.

Joyce Ackley said...

Your Thursday fog photo is especially beautiful. The tree branches, the gradation of the blue hues, the bit of light in the picture - enchanting.

I live in Florida where most of the days, year 'round, are sunny and bright. But your pictures make me think I'd like to take a stroll in the fog...

Anonymous said...

Lydia, I am very glad to learn about rice vinegar....I have wondered about it for quite some time....nice to know it is pleasant. Must get some!
LM

MNMichele said...

FOG

The fog comes on little cat feet. It sits looking over harbor and city on silent haunches and then moves on. -Carl Sandburg

I love this little poem. It seems fitting for the series. Please forgive if it has already been shared.

Gail said...

What I am really looking forward to is the foggy wardrobe. It has made think of a few ideas, myself!

Lydia said...

Fog fashion will be coming soon, but I just hope you can see it through the fog.

Lydia said...

I live in the northwest, near the coast, where fog is part of life. I only wish I'd had the idea when I was a lot younger. I could have saved myself many an "off" day. And lately it has not been "making lemonade out of lemon" because I have enjoyed the fog so much that I do not even look at it in a negative way.

Lydia said...

Someone submitted the poem in a previous fog post. I have been looking up fog expressions like "foggiest notion" and also fog in literature and poetry. It factors largely in the 18th century prose and stories.

Alexandra said...

Mmmm, rice wine vinegar. My favorite. :)