Sunday, April 17, 2011

You Can Be Happy

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.



It is easy enough to be pleasant, when life flows by like a song
But the man worthwhile is the one who will smile when everything goes dead wrong.
For the test of the heart is trouble and it always comes with the years
And the smile that is worth the praise of the earth is the smile that shines through the tears.

It is easy enough to be prudent when nothing tempts you to stray.

When without or within no voice of sin is living your soul away.

But it is only a negative virtue until it is tried by fire.

And the life that is worth the honor on earth is the one that resists desire.

By the cynic the sad and the fallen, who had no strength for the strife

The worlds highway is cumbered today they make up the sum of life.

But the virtue that conquers passion and the sorrow that hides in a smile

It is these that are worth the homage on earth

Because we find them but once in a while.



~Ella Wheeler Wilcox


My Kingdom




A little kingdom I possess, where thoughts and feelings dwell.

And very hard I find the task of governing it well.

For passion tempts and troubles me, A wayward will misleads.

And selfishness its shadow casts on all my words and deeds.



How can I learn to rule myself, to be the child I should,

Honest and brave, nor ever tire of trying to be good?

How can I keep a sunny soul to shine along life's way?

How can I tune my little heart to sweetly sing all day?



Dear Father, help me with the love that casteth out my fear.

Teach me to lean on thee and feel that thou art very near.

That no temptation is unseen no childish grief too small.

Since thou, with patience infinite, doth soothe and comfort all.



I do not ask for any crown but that which all may win

Nor seek to conquer any world except the one within.

Be thou my guide until I find Led by a tender hand,

Thy happy kingdom in myself and dare to take command.

Louisa May Alcott











No comments: