Monday, September 26, 2011

Late Summer Sewing




A Game of Tennis
by Leopold Kawalski, German, 1856-1932



This is from my daisy dress, made from cotton fabric, and this particular print comes in two other background colors, one being pink, and the other white.




The trim, above, is sold by the roll, and matches the pretty daisies with the pink centers. One roll covered the neckline and the sleeve hems.


Trim must be sewn on with a relaxed stitch and must not be stretched too tightly, or it will not lie flat.




Here is an easy hair attachment: fold a long length of matching fabric, press it and stitch.

Loop the fabric strip through the hair clip.


Tie it once and leave it to hang naturally, or form it into a bow, below.  It is easier than a scrunchie, and does not pull out a lot of hair when you remove it.




The dress is Simplicity 5189 which you can buy when patterns go on sale for $1.99 or 99c, whichever comes first.  I used sleeves from the previous blouse, which were from an an older pattern.  This pattern has a good neckline that is not too low, and it requires no zipper, however I would suggest you add one to make it a little easier to wear.


This pattern is easy to sew, if you are familiar with sewing  the ease area around the upper bodice. Follow the pattern directions and it should be possible to do it without a lot of problems.

7 comments:

Gina said...

I am afraid that I am all thumbs when it comes to sewing. I admire those that do sew. Very lovely dress.

Mrs Georgina

Anonymous said...

Lydia,

This sounds excellent. However, do you have problems with the trim tearing over time? I remember the lace trims of the 80's and 90's; two washes and they'd be tattered and torn!!I do like your directions for hair accessories to accompany the dress. Very lovely indeed.

Keep inspiring us and many thanks for the labour of love that is your blog ministry.

Amy said...

What pretty fabric! I have a cute, simple skirt pattern I want to try, but I'm having trouble finding fabric locally that isn't too flimsy and see-through.

Anonymous said...

That's such a pretty dress!

My oldest daughter, Karla(8) just finished a long, tiered skirt for my Angelica (3). :)

Have a blessed day cousin!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty dress, you're so talented!

Elizabeth Olmstead McBride said...

I love that print. I'd like to make a skirt with it. Now, if only I sewed.

Ginger said...

I made a dress from this pattern a few weeks ago and love it. I never would have known about it without your posts. That said, I'm going to add several inches to the bottom as it feels slightly on the short side. And I'm a short woman.