Wednesday, August 05, 2026

Talk Soon

Hello Ladies,

I feel as though I am a character in a book called A Long Way Home because I can't seem to find my way back to the video broadcasts which I create to encourage homemakers. Busy days make it a challenge to get to a broadcast. My voice is wearing thin from all the unnecessary talking I do at home, so I am trying to be quiet, and reserve some voice for you. 


As you see, above, my castles are back!! 


Miss Lillian is in The Manse  talking to
her future husband. 

She is here sewing her wedding dress. Her home in eastern Oregon has been evacuated due to smoke. 





Please  do not copy photos on this page nor send.

Painting:

The Wedding Dress by George Goodwin Kilburn 1839-1924


Sewing the Wedding Dress

( author unknown)


The White Stitch

Soft white cloth upon the floor,

Silver needle through the door

Of time and hope, a-threading slow,

Where quiet, happy feelings go.


The Dress Takes Shape

Inch by inch the bodice grows,

Sweet as petals on a rose.

Long white lace and smooth-spun silk,

Pale and bright as morning milk.


Ready for the Day

Pins are pulled and thread is tied,

Waiting for the happy bride.

Every seam a wish made true,

Old and bright, and white and blue.



Hopefully I'll talk at you soon!!!

Lydia Ruth


8 comments:

Lydia said...

Dear Lydia Ruth,

Enjoy the beautiful, special days at home with your granddaughter this summer. What a wonderful time in your lives!😊

Love and prayers,
Holly

Marianne said...

Thank you for the update; these are such happy times for you all. Tiring too, I imagine. Lillian is a beautiful young lady and will be a radiant bride! What will you ear to the wedding?

Homemaker's Heart said...

I love the castles!! That is such a neat view. They hay laying down looks soft. Isn't Lillian the young lady that makes dresses without a pattern? Is she making her dress without a pattern? That is inspiring. I wonder if you could interview her in a video so she can teach a general way to make a simple dress without a pattern? What does she see or look for , how does she make a paper part and cut it out? Etc.

Lydia said...

yes she sees without a pattern but she does use a guide, like a tee shirt or skirt that that fits her. She folds into. half and places it on the fold of the fabric, then cuts around it leaving a 5/8 or i/2 inch seam allowance.

She did teach a few girls in zoom a dress making lesson and by the end of the lesson they each had a dress made!!

AAC14 said...

Dear Mrs. Sherman,
Miss Lillian's dress is absolutely breathtaking! I love seeing the dress in the process of its creation. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see a bride who desires a modestly attired wedding. She is going to be such a radiant and lovely bride!

I hope that Miss Lillian's family home is not damaged by the wildfires. A few years ago, I enjoyed reading about the construction of the home on The Pleasant Times blog.

In Christ,
Alyssa

AAC14 said...

Also, please tell Miss Lillian that I purchased her book! I am excited to read it soon.
-Alyssa

Homemaker's Heart said...

That is an amazing idea! She really is talented. I think your family has some gifts you have passed on.

Cathy said...

I appreciate you stopping by and writing up a post. Life does seem to get very busy for us all. How marvelous your granddaughter is sewing her wedding dress. Perhaps you will show some photos of her on her wedding day.