Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Sleeper

This is what happens to people who fall asleep at my house. My son is napping while his nephews are busy wrapping cord around him. Here you see one of the Lillitputans reaching under the couch to wrap the continuing cord around the sleeping giant. Since he never reads my blog, I think I can get away with posting it. I'm sure he is tired after a weekend of fishing or hunting. Here is a poem I wrote for his 25th birthday:


Stevie,
Now you are twenty-five,
I do not know how you've survived.
The girls still think you are a hunk,
But they don't know about your junk.
They haven't seen the big brown truck,
Sticking in the muddy muck.
They haven't seen your stash of guns
Or the Little Debbie cinnamon buns.
They haven't seen your so called life
Sleeping with your hunting knife!
Pity she who marries you
When you try to find your shoe.
She will think that you're a louse
When you clutter up the house.
She won't need a trip to the woods,
Home will be enough, with all your “goods.”
She won't need a trip to the lake
'Cause taking care of you will make her break!
But something you need to know that will probably be true:
Your wife will like us better than she likes you.
In our cozy home she'll rest,
When your place has got her best.
Here among the roses and hearts
She'll enjoy our tea time tarts.
She won't want to go and face
The guns and poles in your place.
The life on the edge and power bait galore
Will send her here just to restore.
So when you wed, don't go too far
And be sure she has a car.
Or live next door so when she's too Stevie-ized
She can come and be civilized.
Love Mom, famous author and poet.

For more "Stevie-Stuff" check out these two posts over at The Pleasant Times.
http://thepleasanttimes.blogspot.com/2008/02/happy-birthday-stevie.html

http://thepleasanttimes.blogspot.com/search/label/poetry













10 comments:

Just Me said...

Oh that is too funny! Thanks for sharing it!

Jodi said...

I love a family with a sense of humor! Happy Birthday to your dear boy - er - man child! :o)

50s Housewife said...

What a cute poem (and picture)!

Leanna said...

I want to see a picture of the look on his face when he woke up all tied up. . .

They did a nice job. :-)

Lydia said...

He opened one eye and said, "Hey, what's going on? Come on, guys, untie me. The fun is over."

Anonymous said...

Opps...NOW I find the comment button. Great story! Happy Birthday Stevie!

~~Deby said...

This is just so cute,boys will be boys. I had read the Stevie poem and thought that it was most clever, what did HE think with all the birthday attention?
Deby

NHizName said...

I love it...would liked to have been a fly on the wall when he woke up! LOL! Thanks for sharing!
Love your blog, btw!
Janice

Melonie said...

Love it!

Tho I don't know that only young boys would do something like this - my husband is in his late 20s and would gladly go after a buddy who was asleep on the couch just like this! Hmm, I guess I'd better not let him see this - or I'd better not nap! *chuckle*

Anonymous said...

How on earth did he not feel this?