Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Rain Yesterday, Rain Today, Rain Tomorrow (And Video)





Greetings Dear Ones,

As you see in the photo, it is dreary here, with dark skies and rain and yet there is a somewhat delightful aura to it all, so naturally I try to think what tea cup or fabric will go with it!  I have never seen fabric with a rain-drop print, have you? 

It will be raining here another day or two.

I know a story that took place in the rain. Maybe you, do, too.

Mr. S. had only met me back in 1972 and I was at a church gathering in someone's house. I had gone there by myself and he was also there. It proceeded to rain formidably during the dinner and Mr. S. got up and left abruptly before even eating. I suspected he saw me there and was trying to get away!  He came back later when every one was playing games and visiting, and he handed me my rain coat! He had driven to my home and asked for it, and brought it to me because "the rain was very strongly raining", as I put it. I had only met him a few weeks earlier. I heard he was like that with everyone.

As you see, Mr. S. didn't get away. And, it rained on our wedding day.

Most of the time in mystery stories there is thunder and rain, but there must be some nice rain stories amongst us.


Painting: The Garden of Eden by Hugh G. Rivière 1869-1956

If you were my students and I your teacher, I would give you a rainy day assignment. I would first have you go outside with a clear plastic see-through umbrella and listen to the raindrops on the ground and on the umbrella itself.  Then I would ask you to notice how the misty atmosphere changed the hue and the general look of the scenery. Does it soften the edges of houses, trees, hills and meadows? What are the colors like? 

Then we would come inside and use our little sketch books, which would include a very creative description of what we saw, heard, felt, smelled or sensed. Maybe someone would write a colorful or witty story to go with the experience. 

How many references to rain can you find in the Bible? What is the "hydraulic cycle"? You can find some of this definition in the book of Job.

Can you paint a rain drop? You would be surprised at how many colors are in a raindrop when you try to paint it on a flower, as in this Catherine Klein rose.



Have you ever collected rain water in a bucket to use for washing a piece of fabric, your hair, or glassware? Have you tasted a glass of rain water? (Check out cautions about safe rain water).

How can you read the sky and tell if there is going to be rain? How do pets and other animals behave when they know it is going to storm or rain?

How can we keep a level head and be even tempered in gloomy weather?

Have you ever taken a letter to the mailbox during the rain, only to notice the rain bled the address into oblivion because you didn't use a pen with waterproof ink? Ballpoints are the best for rain.

What do you know about the history of rain umbrellas? The first rain umbrellas were not very strong or reliable and they quickly broke. 

What does the Bible say about rain? When did it first rain on the earth? Who prayed about rain? When was a ship crew frightened about bad weather that included storms and rain?

Consider how rain confines us indoors and the advantage it can give us at home. For me, it discourages from going anywhere, because it isn't pleasant to drive, and getting in and out of the car can be cold and wet. It's great time to accomplish something at home that I've been putting off, such as a shelf that hasn't been cleaned in 10 years or a box of things that needs to be sorted. I want to develop a response to overcast skies in two ways: by tackling a shelf or drawer that needs cleaning, and by doing something artistic like painting a picture or sewing. Maybe you can choose one work item and one leisure item so that rather than feeling depressed, you can see it as an opportunity.

On rainy days with children, you have an opportune time to reenact Noah and his family on the ark. What might it have been like?

For homework I would give you a couple of assignments:

Put together a rainy day box for a child, a friend, or yourself.

Create your own rainy day tea using ingredients from your garden or the grocery store. Put it in a box, tin, jar or or bag, give it a name and list the ingredients on the package.  We will enjoy sampling each person's blend. You can include dried herbs, dried fruit, spices and flavoring.

Create a rainy day tea time menu. How will it be unique, in comparison to other afternoon tea?

Do you remember the phrase "Save it for a rainy day"? Long before it was used in a famous song, people used to save things for a rainy day. We had a rainy day box, with special items we only got to use on a rainy day? People would put away money and not spend it, saving it instead for a rainy day, when they might buy some small comfort.

What projects do you think people used to put aside for a rainy day?

If you were confined inside the house for three rainy days, what all would you like to do?

If you have children at home, let them experience the rain on their faces and hands. 

It will be a joy to them to hear you say, "It is raining. Time to get out our special rain food!" (Whatever you decide it will be).

Suppose you were a clothing designer. What would you create for rainy days to wear at home (a special apron? Some other accessory? ) that you would not wear at other times?  I would be interested to see what the students draw.  I heard a girl say, "This is my rainy day dress." Something in the print made her think it went with the rain. 

Here is my rain fashion today. My sewing is still in progress so I am wearing commercial clothing.i didn't think of sewing a wardrobe for the dark days of winter when it was raining or the weather just sitting there being blah, but I managed to pull this outfit together for rain fashion today. My shirt matched my plastic umbrella. I also have other colors of umbrellas.
All that sewing I have shown here the last two years is completely worn out because I liked it so much, I washed and wore and washed and wore. I am excited about sewing new dresses to go-with the scenery, the seasons, the social occasions.


Mr. S. is not at all fond of the new technology in cameras. He claims it is harder for him to focus and that it is all way too sensitive to movement, compared to his old cameras of the past. Nonetheless he wants to be "relevant" so he has been trying to adjust, and these are his photos. He is threatening to get me a Tri-pod with a remote and get me out of his hair so he can go to the garden and dig for more treasure.


In this video I explain more about the reasons behind dressing well in the home. There is a stop somewhere in the video but it resumes again if you just keep it on.

I think especially when it is a rainy day, careful clothing choices should be made.

When we were younger we used to enjoy ironing our casual clothes. An old shirt became extra special when it was pressed. I pressed the cotton shirt I am wearing in the photos and I felt a sense of fineness about the way I was dressed. If you are alone, don't neglect yourself. Have a spa day, dress as pretty as you can, and do something to mark the day; something for the memory, whether it is a journal entry, a letter to someone, sewing, or just preparing a hot cup of tea.

It would be nice to pick up a book entitled: "Stories For a Rainy Day."

Water paint a rainbow when you see one out a window and tell about the origin of the rainbow. Do you think the colors are the real "color wheel"?

When you are finished with my rain class, you will have a rain book full of beautiful things!

  • Well, that is what I would do if I had a class on rain at home. You would all get a cup of Fresh Rain Drop Tea before you left.


Roger Hamley and Molly Gibson in the Rain.  I would be disappointed if the BBC had to use a rain machine for this scene.

Job 36:26-3
 Behold, God is great, and we know him not; The number of his years is unsearchable.
For he draweth up the drops of water, Which distil in rain from his vapor,Which the skies pour down And drop upon man abundantly.
Yea, can any understand the spreadings of the clouds, The thunderings of his pavilion?
Behold, he spreadeth his light around him; And he covereth the bottom of the sea.
For by these he judgeth the peoples; He giveth food in abundance.
He covereth his hands with the lightning, And giveth it a charge that it strike the mark.
The noise thereof telleth concerning him, The cattle also concerning the storm that cometh up.



9 comments:

Rosemary UK said...

It is raining here in the UK too,and it is forecast to rain for the next two days.Personally I dont mind,but it is supposed to get out fine after that.

Missuz C said...

I am loving this post! Such fodder for the imagination!

You should write a book for homeschooling, a compilation of blog posts like this. Please let me know if you do?

Jenny said...

I live in the west and miss rainy seasons. My best rainy day story -- my wedding day. It was raining so bad, but that is to be expected in March in Kentucky. Some say rain on a wedding day is good luck. We've been married 21 years.

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

Several years ago we were flying home from Nevada and it had been a cold rainy trip to and from. When we emerged from the clouds to start the landing sequence at LAX, a bright and brilliant double rainbow followed us all the way to landing. The colors were vibrant and almost shimmering. I've never seen anything like it since then.

Lydia said...

Jenny, that is a lovely story indeed. We never plan for rain on wedding days do we? It would be a major plus to deliberately create a wedding for rain! I didn't have sunshine either and it turned quite cold.

Ann, it is interesting how you can be in a blizzard and an hour later on the other side of the mountain there is a heat wave.

Willow said...

Thanks so much Lydia, for helping me to see rainy days more positively! Here in the U.K. we have had the longest, coldest most dreary winter & spring - it's been hard not to become quite depressed by it! It's not so much the rain that gets to me, but the very grey light here - today, however, the sunshine is back, so I will make the most of it and go out into the garden. Thank you also for the lovely video and advice about making the best of our appearance in order to have a more positive frame of mind for the day ahead - you speak such good sense and with such a kind heart. Have a lovely day xx

Lydia said...

Willow, all over the US. It has been long and wet and gray, even in places like Tennessee, where it is known for warm southern climate.

One year we endured an unusual long period of fog and grayness, and I made a holiday of it at home, with fog tea and things to celebrate the season, including cleaning and organization.

Perhaps it is made grayer by the lack of classes like these 😊. I want to do more of them. Aside from such grayness causing low moods, some people don't feel well. someone sent me some orange essential oil and I have been using it ever since, as it is like instant sunshine.

D said...

Rain outfits? I do love that! Last week I joined some ladies for a day trip. Although I had on a jacket I got soaked as we scooted in and out of shops. That prompted me to take apart a nicely fitting fleece coat to trace off a pattern. Looking for some cheerful colored waterproof fabric, and hope to line it with cotton flannel.
May take some rainy days to get it done! Thank you for idea. Oh, the things we get into! Yes, will need to make another unlined fleece jacket to replace th undone-one. Sigh... D.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of this today as we have gotten the gray, rainy weather, but I decided to wear a cheerful floral print dress today to do my daily housework. I love your video tips as always, and I love your pale blue dress you're wearing in it. It inspired me to dress cheerfully today, despite the chilly rain and dampness outside.