Thursday, August 13, 2020

A Little Inspiration From Reading Booker T. Washington and Anne of Green Gables


Hello Ladies,

A quote from Booker T. Washington:

"I believe than any man's life will be filled with constant, unexpected encouragements...if he makes up his mind to do his level best each day of his life--that is, tries to make each day reach as nearly as possible the high-water mark of pure, unselfish, useful living. I pity the man, black or white, who has never experienced the joy and satisfaction that comes to one by reason of an effort to assist in making someone else more useful and more happy."  

Booker T. Washington, 1856-1915





Quote from Anne of Green Gables:

Marilla: What use would she be to us?
Matthew:  We might be of some use to her.



Ladies, you might also benefit from these sounds and come away with a sense of well-being, instead of listening to the discouraging reports in media. I like to have some nature sounds to alleviate any tension, and it is good background for housework ;-)


6 comments:

Janine said...

Thanks, Lydia! Wonderful quotes, and I love this video! Janine

Marianne said...

Dear Lydia,
I am enjoying your lovely read-alouds so much . They do provide great inspiration.
I live in Montgomery ,AL, just a few miles from Tuskegee (pronounced Tus- ke' gee - all the e's are long vowel) and Tuskegee Institute. Maybe it is called university now. My next door neighbor teaches English at Booker T Washington High SChool where Up From Slavery is required reading in 11th grade. He recently brought me an extra and very read copy of the book.
When we home schooled our sons ( in the olden days) we took them to the George Washington Carver museum at the school - absolutely fascinating.
Thank you for the time and effort you spend to make these videos for us. Today I changed bed linens, put on my makeup, and did the breakfast dishes while listening- not in that order!
Blessings,
Marianne

Lydia said...

Thank you Marrianne! What an inspiration this autobiography has been. I remember "in the olden days" how we had so many biographies and autobiographies to read, and I thought the book of Acts was an autobiography of the apostle Paul. Reading all these gave us a sense of life as a journey and how you don't live each day without thought for the past, the present and the future. I think the homeschool children read these and developed an understanding of their responsibility to create their own history by doing good or ill. And certainly the Bible is a biography of God's dealings with his people over the centuries. All are very inspring but I particularly like the ones where the author has some "sayings" and figures of speech that put teeth into the importance of living life with a purpose.

Lydia said...

Janine, though Anne is fiction, it is true to life in many ways so I like the quotes a lot. I love saying, "tragical", which is not a word, but which a bouncy enthusiastic girl like Anne would use to describe a supreme disappointment. And not being wanted is tragical!!

Lydia said...

Thanks for the pronunciation. I shall corrected it in the next video!!!

Polly said...

I LOVE these readings about Booker T Washington! My children and I read about him last year. We live not far from his homeplace! I'm really enjoying revisiting his life and hearing about it in his own words. Thank you for sharing!