Sunday, April 17, 2022

A Blessed Day, Hyssop, Emma's Conversation


When so many people's thoughts are on the Resurrection, the day  is beautiful. 


Today I talked about the herb, hyssop, and how it represents cleansing. It was mentioned in the scriptures about the crucifixion. 

You can learn  more about the benefits of hyssop and perhaps be able to grow some of your own. 


I also read a poem from an old Ideals publication, about the love of small pathways and old roads.


The cost of fuel may enable us to be home for longer periods of time, so I suggested in this broadcast that we all get our homes to serve us in the best way to make everyone comfortable.

Some of the things I mentioned we dreamed of when we were younger, to have in our own homes, were:
curtains
hand braided carpets
towels, pillowcases with our family monogram (initials)
silverware, dishes and glassware
furniture

I discussed making the best of a disappointing situation, and will try to elaborate on it in future broadcasts.

Jane Austen's book, "Emma" lent a very interesting social situation with a conversation which was not to Emma's liking.  It relates still, today, in some of our interactions with people who want to control others.  This is important for homemakers to know, so that they can avoid having a sour atmosphere in their homes or in any social situation.

The purpose of conversation is to enjoy the blessing of the company of other people.  It can be spoiled by someone who wants to correct or contradict everything that is said. 

If I had written such a person as a character in my novel, I would have her do so much correcting and contradicting, that soon the entire room of people would refuse to talk, (not wanting to provide any more material for argument)  and just sit sipping tea and listening to the clock ticking.  

Some people make a controversy out of everything. They just cannot help themselves, and I told of my conversation with a care-giver who has to deal with some of these types of people. 

The best thing to do when you hear someone in a group say something that is not quite accurate, if it is not integral to the point they are making, is to be quiet and let it go. Take the person aside quietly if you think it is too important to ignore, but never derail a conversation by nit-picking a small point.

The secret to preventing this, if you are talking, is to avoid giving too much information that gives them "supply" to argue about.  This works well with little children too. They need short, simple replies, not complicated explanations that they can argue with. 

Please enjoy your home making while you listen today:

4 comments:

Missuz C said...

This segment of Homemaker Radio was so enjoyable today as I have been tidying & cleaning our home after the holiday weekend. It's a blessing to be able to listen to you as I work to bless my family.

Thank you for the insight and wisdom on how to deal with argumentative people in conversation. I shall have my teen daughter listen as well.

Last week I bought a container of Wright's Silver Cream and spent a few moments, while listening to you, learning how to polish a few odd pieces of silver we have. My daughter will be delighted! She has been wanting to learn how, so I have saved some for her. This cream makes it so easy--much better than the labor I remember from my childhood. Silver has such a lovely sheen, and quite a different "mouth feel" than our every day stainless steel tableware.

And now I'm off to the internet to see if in can find DIY instructions to make a stationary box like you described. It would be a perfect compliment for the small book of birthdays, anniversaries, and addresses you encouraged your listeners to keep, so that we can send cards to those special people.

Finally, thank you for the reminder to pray for our loved ones--because no one else may be praying for them. I guess I had always depended upon my elders for that but now that they are gone, it's up to me. That will require another small book--I think I shall decorate a 7x9 binder for a prayer journal.

May God richly bless you today ❤

Janine said...

Highly enjoyable! You help me keep a smile on my face while tackling disagreeable jobs.

Laura Jeanne said...

I listened to this talk while I cleaned up the kitchen and folded a few loads of laundry. I always appreciate your ideas on how to deal with difficult people, as it's inevitable that we all have to face that challenge from time to time. It's good to be reminded of how to deal with these situations wisely and graciously.

Regarding hyssop, I have grown it in my garden for many years. It smells lovely - a fresh floral scent with a hint of citrus. I like to use it when company is coming and I want the house to smell pleasant - I take some fresh or dried flowers and pour boiling water over them. I'm sure it would be lovely in potpourri as well. The flowers also have healing properties and can be used for make a wash for wounds or a healing salve.

Michell Hendrick said...

Thank you for the lesson on not giving information in certain conversations. I am guilty at that on both ends. I will do better!
Michell