Friday, August 26, 2022

The Sermon We Show



Thank you for your visit. It gives me the motivation I need to keep “homeschooling” you.

Today I talked about the sermon we show, and a few other things.

Here are the two poems I read:

“You are writing a Gospel,
A chapter each day,
By deeds that you do,
By words that you say.

Men read what you write,
Whether faithless or true;
Say, what is the Gospel
According to you?”


― Paul Gilbert


"I'd rather see a sermon
than hear one any day."

 
I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way.
The eye is a better pupil, more willing than the ear;
Fine counsel is confusing, but example is always clear,
And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see a good put in action is what everybody needs.

I can soon learn how to do it if you will let me see it done;
I can watch your hand in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lesson by observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand you and the high advice you give,
But there is no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.

When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind.
When a weaker brother stumbles, and a strong man stands behind
Just to see if he can help him, then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful as I know that friend to be.
And all travelers can witness that the best of guides today
Is not the one who tells them, but the one who shows the way.

One good man teaches many; men believe what they behold;
One deed of kindness noted is worth forty that are told.
Who stands with men of honor learns to hold his honor dear,
For right living speaks a language which to everyone is clear.
Though an able speaker charms me with his eloquence, I say,
I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day.

-- Edgar A. Guest


One of the children went into business as soon as he arrived.


I have been keeping things placid at home. No trauma, no drama and no sudden changes.


One of the paintings I live in.

I read about Jane Austen's politics,
showed how to write a little book for a child,
and read about Mr. Gibson's response to Molly's outburst:
"We shall not speak of it for now. We both will say things we will regret."



 


Please enjoy doing things around the home or resting, while you listen today:

             

11 comments:

Lydia said...

I was making a humorous statement. Actually you are all educating yourselves. What I talk about gives you thi gs to look into further. I think that makes you self educated or auto-didactic.

Lydia said...

If you told me something from your own, home I would consider you home educating me, as well. There’s no big agenda and no big threat. There are a lot of educators, which are nowadays called influencers, broadcasting from their own homes, who share their experience, beliefs, shopping, cleaning and decorating, and read aloud Books. I call that home educating.

Eileen Smithdeal said...

Hello, dear Lydia!
I check your blog every day to see if there is a new “lesson” to listen to. I am greatly encouraged and inspired by your thoughts and words, as well as the materials you share with us. As a “seasoned” homeschool mother of nine, I am still in much need of wisdom and instruction. I find your broadcasts to be an oasis in the desert, so to speak, and I truly appreciate and am grateful for you and what you’re doing! God bless you ❤️~with heartfelt gratitude and kinship, Eileen Smithdeal

Lynnette said...

I am so happy to be homeschooled by you Mrs. Sherman. It is a pleasure to have such a good and wise teacher who has a wonderful sense of humor!

Keep doing the wonderful work you do. As a previous commenter said, I check your blog every day (actually several times a day between household chores) to see if there is a new lesson to listen to. If there isn't one, I listen to one of your older lessons that I heard. I can always use a refresher course!

Lynnette


Eboni 😊 said...

I'm a young homemaker :) I'm 23 I've been married for 4 years and I enjoy all of your videos you teach me alot :)

Sherry Hayes said...

You are the homeschool teacher I always wish I could have had🥰

Lydia said...



Thank you for sharing your time and wisdom with us today. I enjoyed the extended pep talk on preparing our appearance and seeing it as a “silent ministry”to others and the Lord. I also wanted to thank you for the excellent ideas you gave us for spending quality time with our grandchildren— going on a nature walk, making a book together, and so much more. It was nice to listen in while I put clean bedding on and organized my pantry. 😊

Blessings,
❤️Holly

Nadege said...

I so appreciate your taking the time to do this for us. It’s like sitting down to tea with a warm, wise & trusted friend. So fun and encouraging.

Thank you!

Janine said...

I absolutely loved that story you wrote with your grandson! It's so much better than what is published today. You could publish it yourself and put it on Amazon. I think it was brilliant. I made lunch from a new recipe today and did laundry and changed bedding while listening. I'm amazed by the first comment that someone wanted to remain ignorant instead of being "homeschooled" by you. Lovely post and pictures!

Laura Jeanne said...

I just wanted to leave short comment here to say I love it when you say you're "homeschooling" us. I have spent countless hours of my life homeschooling my children, and it's fun to have the tables turned for a few minutes now and then, and be the one on the receiving end of that. :)

Christal said...

I love seeing your beautiful dresses Lydia, they are so pretty. I shared a exercise channel with you the other day, I thought it would be excellent because the one I looked at had a little scripture, but I'm sorry I may have misspoke, I believe that's the only one that included scripture. I hope you have a lovely week 🤗🌺🌼🐦