Wednesday, August 16, 2017

A Good Response to Disturbing Politics




Greetings,

One of the things that relaxes me the most is creating a pleasant scene outdoors. I should try it every day because it isn't work and there is no deadline, no routine.  It is a peaceful time of re-creation. 

The flower bed and lawn are looking wild and a few dried leaves have fallen, but everything is very lush and green.



Today I am writing to the younger women, especially those with children at home.  Character qualities are more important than politics. Enjoy your children and don't let those years slip by worrying about the news that, 20 years ahead, will be obsolete.  

Make your own news at home and help your children to admire the scriptures. Learn the meanings and applications of words of the Bible, study a little Greek and other languages to see the overall meaning and give some depth to it; learn to reason together, to defend your faith peacefully, and don't get involved with the news.

  If you ever learn the history of the news media, you will understand why it is fruitless and even harmful to pay more attention to it than to your own children and your home.  You might be able to find something about the history of newspapers and go from there to find the tactics of the media and their "word-salads".  

Please don't let bad news stop you from living your life.  Much of it is designed to keep you in a constant state of unrest, fidgeting, worry, stress, uncertainty.

We aren't supposed to live like that, focused on other people all the time, outside our own homes.

One day you might turn 60 and realize you have spent your whole life worried about the world. You might realise your husband or children never knew you when you were not tense and upset, and that you can't remember when you were really happy.

There isn't any substitute for one of the ways God said to help the world:


I exhort, then, first of all, there be made supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men:

for kings, and all who are in authority, that a quiet and peaceable life we may lead in all piety and gravity,

for this is right and acceptable before God our Saviour,

who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth..."


-1st Timothy 2:1-4


Once you have done this, you can't be like the man back in the day of the horse and cart, who was walking on the road carrying a heavy burden on his back.  The driver of a horse and cart came upon him and offered a ride.  The man gladly sat in the back of the cart, still bearing the load on his shoulders.  The driver told his passenger: "You can set your buden down now! You don't have to carry it anymore."


If you are going to pray, be sure and let go of your burden.


I hope this helps.

10 comments:

Blessed Homemaking said...

Such a helpful post, Lydia. There is always bad news on the news, and most of the news is corrupt. This is a wonderful admonition and reminder to keep our focus at home and on our dear children and husbands. What a relief that we don't have to worry about the whole world! We can and should pray, but it is so good to know that God is overseeing it all and has everything under control.

Shani said...

Hear, hear! Nicely said, Lady Lydia!

Another point in favor of ditching the news altogether is the sheer amount of Time you will suddenly have at your disposal. Time during the day to get more accomplished and mental time will suddenly reappear and you will be astonished. Not to mention losing your permanent 'hunched up' state. If we let the good God inform us of what He determines is necessary to us, then we may go about our days at peace.

Breathe deeply, dear ladies,
Shani, who is so very happy and grateful to be in my own little protected spot on earth once again.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lydia ... what a timely post indeed. I have to share that I no longer follow the news media. It is there to take away the peace I have with My Lord. I don't read it or watch it.

Time is such a precious blessing that it is better to enjoy your children, your family and your crafts.

Thank you dear lady for sharing 😊

anonymous said...

Thank you Lydia for this lovely post. In our home my husband views the news on the tv screen morning noon and night. He rarely misses it. In the past I have watched it with him but find the news media so untruthful anymore, and that can be most distressful. I've started going off to another room to do something else. I don't care to hear anymore of what they drone on about. There is rarely any feature that is encouraging anymore. At least with the newspaper, I don't have to listen to all the "stuff" or read the article if I don't want to. Even tuning out and napping while the news is on is preferable and creative.

I enjoy viewing something beautiful, listening to pretty music, reading the bible to get encouragement or even watching a nice movie on CD. Your post about creating something beautiful was really nice and encouraging. Will try creating something beautiful next time.
Janet

Unknown said...

I am sending you a giant hug. Yes, this helps and I am saving this post in my "favorites".
God bless
Mrs.O

Lynn said...

All the comments today are just right and an encouragement to take a step or two - at least - away from the TV news. Thank you, ladies!

ladypinktulip said...

Amen to that. Within my home I have bliss as I go about my day doing the things I love. I don't listen to or watch that stuff. Kelly T.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this.

Homemaker's Heart said...

Such amazing wisdom! I have found this to be true in my life. If I am not wrapped up in the news I am more peaceful and can tend to home without and underlying fear. A fear that the media places with all the "oh my gosh" which is mostly opinion anyways. Thanks for the encouragement.

I've heard there is a website for "Good News", things that are going right in the world, but I have not been able to find it yet.

Wishing you peace,
Dee

Unknown said...

Lydia,
Thank you so very much for your beautiful and encouraging blog (and videos).
How do you mentally deal with issues such as human trafficking, abortion, etc.? While these issues must be disturbing to most all, they lay a particularly heavy weight on my sensitive heart. Do you simply pray when these things come to mind and then try to forget about them? In your opinion, how much attention should Christian homemakers/mothers/home schoolers give to these horrific issues? Our church highlights a different such issue each month. I want to do my part, but even reading through the material is so burdensome to my heart, I can hardly stand it.

Thank you so much, in advance, for any response you have time to give.

In Christ Jesus,
Elizabeth