Friday, January 05, 2018

A Vintage Pattern and Some Fabric Called Snuggle



Photo: Pinteresr, Ralph Lauren teapot

Florals look so complimentary when paired with plaid and tartan prints.  There was a company in Oregon that had shops in the malls called "Daisy Kingdom" which featured fabrics and patterns that designed plaids and roses together and the effect was so sweet. The company isn't there anymore but some of their patterns are still sold in Simplicity pattern books, and the older ones can be found at etsy stores.

These two show how she combined plaids with florals:




Pattern photos from Pinterest.



I finished my green plaid dress from the "Snuggle" brand flannel I got on sale at Joann fabrics, and was just unable to get any real good photo of me in it. Most of the people that took my picture were not  able to take good fashion sewing photos, as they are used to taking pictures of scenery, so I gave up and took one of my own, which isn't much better!


This dress has a lot of tucks and ruffles you can't see in the picture. I have worn it to a couple of social events, and I might end up putting it on the dress form to show, although this is one dress that looks better worn than on the dress form.



Hopefully I can get a proper photo-shoot for this dress, since, as a sewing project, it was a dream to put together and it is a style and fabric that gives a feeling of happiness.  This fabric doesn't shred or separate the needle stitches, acting more like a high quality cotton. I made a fascinator and bow to go with, and I will certainly try to get someone to take some proper pictures to share here.  


I now have this piece of Snuggle flannel,

 which I would like to transform into the look of this vintage Pattern, New Look 6151. I did not buy this pattern because I likely have a similar skirt pattern, and, judging by the looks of it, I think the shawl is a swath of fabric draped different ways, and might not actually require a pattern.


I don't wear plaid at all, as I have not figured out how to make it look good on me, but with the recent green dress I made, I wore a long white scarf with it to soften the boxy print. In th 1980's, white blouses were worn a lot, or battenburg collars. I found that any color or print would be worn, even if it didn't really go with your complexion, if there was a white collar or a white blouse, or something near the face in a flattering color. 


I also wanted to share a recent find at Goodwill: a teacup, which shows no signs of use, made by Paragon.  The prices are going up at thrift stores, and this one cost $4 but I used my 20% off donate coupon when I took in some donations.  Ladies who come to tea always like using a new cup and this one had already been used a couple of times here.
I picked up that piece of lichen that fell from a tree outside, because I thought it was interesting, looks a lot like kale, and is a lovely sage green, a prominent color in my house.

I perceive that ladies who are used to reading this blog are not as interested in "conflict" type posts, and I don't enjoy writing them as much as other subjects. I have one more "caution" type post coming up, and hope especially that young people will read them.  Being a social, people-oriented type can bring its hazards, and while it is important to be interdependent with your own family, it is also wise to be cautious when it comes to peer-dependency.

Examples of plaid garments posted on Pinterest:




This one is from Pendleton wool company:





13 comments:

Dawn said...

You look very pretty in your new dress. I would love to see more photos if you are able to get them.

A flannel dress sounds so appealing right now. It must be like being in your nightgown all day but a lot more stylish and appropriate.

I've never been a plaid fan but for the past two falls and winters, I've been wild over plaids.

I've been wondering if a flannel slip would be good idea. It surely would add extra warmth but I wonder if the flannel would stick and bunch up under clothing.

anonymous said...

You look great in plaid Lydia and you did a great job on your green plaid outfit too.
I noticed that finally there is a lot of plaid fabrics being used in clothing this year. So good to see as I am a plaid lover.

Daisy Kingdom patterns were sooo pretty. Have always liked big roses with plaid fabrics because the plaid reminds me of a garden trellis with roses growing on it.
Since the rose fabrics from Shabby Fabrics are costly, a bit of it in trim or applique on a plaid fabric dress would be lovely. Add a bit of white lace to that and you have an ultra feminine dress.
Janet

anonymous said...

It has been my experience that flannel slips are not "slips". Quite the contrary, they cling and bunch like mad. I like long skirts and dresses. Long slips are hard to find.
My solution was to find a long half slip. If one can't be found I often go to the thrift shop and purchase a mid-calf or ankle length slinky silk or jersey nightgown the kind with spaghetti straps. I cut the gown off about empire length and make a 1/2" casing then add 1/4" wide elastic to fit my waist. Ta-da, a lovely alternative slip and quite inexpensive. The gowns come in many colors too.
For warmth just wear a pair of leggings under the slip.
Janet

Lydia said...

Janet as made me a couple of those long half-slips made from full slips, made as she described. They are the best half lips I have ever had. I can wear cordoroy or flannel or cotton and the slips she made me do not cling or bunch up.

becky said...

I for one like your "conflict" posts. There are so many women out there who just blindly live their lives without knowing how to really think through situations and go by feelings and culture.
I appreciate you and all you do for this blog
Thank you
Becky

Lynn said...

Your new dress looks pretty on you...a good color for you.

Lynn said...

Janet's slip idea is really great!

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

ME ENCANTAN LAS FALDAS, LAS USO TODO EL TIEMPO, SON TAN FEMENINAS, Y A DIOS LE GUSTA QUE USEMOS ROPA DE MUJER. SIEMPRE LEO TU BLOG, ES MUY INSPIRADOR. BENDICIONES DESDE ARGENTINA.

Lydia said...

English translation for the above comment

I LOVE THE SKIRTS, THE USE ALL THE TIME, ARE SO FEMININE, AND GOD LIKES THAT WE WEAR WOMAN'S CLOTHING. ALWAYS I READ YOUR BLOG, IT IS VERY INSPIRATIONAL. BLESSINGS FROM ARGENTINA.

Laura Jeanne said...

I love plaid myself - even when I was a girl I loved wearing plaid. My mom used to dress my sister in I in itchy wool kilts to go to church, and even though they itched I really liked them! Your green dress is very pretty and I hope you will be able to share more photos of it with us - particularly with the matching fascinator!

As for your "conflict" posts - I personally really enjoy and appreciate them, Lydia, so I hope you won't stop them altogether even though they may be less pleasant to write. Your blog is called "Home Living" and while tea breaks and sewing and many other pleasant things are a part of life in the home, dealing with difficult people and awkward situations is a part of home life too, and if we don't learn how to manage these situations we will lose our inner peace, and then all the tea breaks in the world won't help much. So I think taken altogether, your different sorts of posts create a harmonious whole. :)

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

I had an orange plaid skirt that my mom bought in a larger size when I was little. I loved that. Now I wear plaid long sleeve shirts over long sleeved shirts and they are really comfortable. I couldn't wear that first dress as it would make me wider than the barn I am already. LOL.
That teacup is lovely. When all the kerfluffle settles down I'm going to mosey over the big street down the road and check out the Salvation Army store, the Goodwill Store, and the hospital thrift shops.

Lydia said...

Ann, that might be the reason many women won't wear plaid. It makes us look wider.

anonymous said...

I found that a plaid cut on the bias has a slimming affect because the pattern flows up or down at an angle and not straight across the body. The green Black Watch plaid maxi-skirt on your post shows that.
Janet