Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Visiting Small Town America Road Trip 2019


Have a look at the brick sidewalk, above.

 It is still hard for me to remember to take pictures of everything---the street, the flags, the sidewalks, but I did get my head together in the shops, so here are some pictures of a few things from a day trip, or I should say, hour trip,  yesterday:




I like the interesting table centerpiece and of course I like that long, long table. I shall have to go back just to get a closer look at it!





Because the little rubber boots I was using for planters had begun to crack and deteriorate into soil, I was tickled green to find this at one of the shops to replace them.
It is a garden-proof, weather-proof ceramic and I'm quite happy to have it, and to know it was cheaper than using a Hobby Lobby coupon--$5.00, and it looks good on my "ruins".




These are hard to find at low prices, because they are so often used by florists in garden shops, and you get a hefty price for the plant they include.

*****************
Also, I've been busy with sewing, and have made some progress. You remember I was eyeing this bold rose print, and wondering how I could make a dress from it (for home, of course):
It is a David Textiles fabric which are quite nice, all cotton, found at Walmart. So far, I have cut out some of the roses and ironed them underneath an old umbrella using a product called "Wonder Web". I will try to make a step-by-step post of this unique idea for my Pinterest. I'm always sure something like this is my own creative idea, and then I discover it has already been done!  I am looking for more plain umbrellas to iron on matching pieces from dresses, for the rain season.  Its a new hobby, which I don't need. No, I don't need another hobby. 




I have seen some umbrellas that are $40 with the lovely rose prints, (actually would be better for the rain than this) but by ironing on the inside of the umbrella, the fabric won't get wet. I am looking forward to getting a picture of the dress and the umbrella, that is, if my only photographer will cooperate. Mr. S. does not fancy himself a fashion photographer. He'd rather take pictures of vintage cars.  Maybe if I stand next to the old truck (which we still use, by the way) I can get him to take a picture.

I need another day to finish these two dresses and then I can amuse and entertain you with a new post.
 🙂

 There is one of the dresses, cut out and corralled in a basket, and 
here it is being ironed. That's progress.

I have this dress halfway sewn.  

Its very cold outside, and the wind and rain have almost demolished those tender pink blossoms on the tree; the tree I was making the dress to go with!  Maybe if I hurry I can get a picture while the branches still have a semblance of pink.



3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Lydia,
I chanced upon your youtube video recently and I really enjoyed listening to your sharing :)
Since I am not able to comment on youtube, I thought maybe I come here to say hi . I can't want to start reading your blog posts. Your videos have come at the perfect time for me, a sahm whose kids are grown up and I'm feeling a bit lost and useless at home even though I do enjoy staying at home, taking care of my family and our house. Your sharing has inspired me to be positive and motivated. Thanks again :)
Lynn

Lydia said...

Lynn, thanks for coming and I hope you can get lots of ideas here, as I also include links to other helpful places. I have on my list to make a video for older women at home. There are still a few more videos to do on sewing and clothing, but I am catching up to the list. I hope you will read the comments here because the ladies also have great ideas.

lynn maust said...

Your umbrella looks fantastic! Clever idea. Lynn M.