Saturday, January 05, 2019

Indulge


I am sure you all get so busy with a moment, or with living, or being so absorbed in an interest that you forget to record it in a journal or take pictures. The same is with us, although Mr. S. will often say, "Get a picture of that" to remind me.

This week we were on our rounds of therapists, wound care, podiatrist, etc. (I counted 8 people invested in Mr. S.'s left foot) and we were able to stop at a nearby Tea Room for lunch.
Mr. S. ordered chowder and sourdough bread.

Of course they had their famous salted caramel vanilla crunch cake*, which a friend had ordered when we we took tea together last year. I summoned up the courage to ask for the recipe. The owner and all the waiters are men who behave like proper butlers, I tell ya! They can't do enough for the customers and they are so helpful. This man told us he had tried to make that cake there in the kitchen but had not mastered it yet. He said he was pretty sure the filling was a sauce containing oats!  He told us they sure were not letting out the recipe anywhere, which is quite a feat, since you can usually find any recipe for anything on the web, and most recipes codes have been cracked.

The waiter talked a long while to Mr. S. about his hat.  We were having lunch there around 2 p.m. when there was a lull in business and they acted glad to see us ;-)

While on the subject of tea, I can't resist mentioning that in the office at that very grand hospital, they were extremely short handed due to one of the staff being called elsewhere, and we sat in the room for an hour....so an office assistant came in and invited me to the nurses station to fix Mr. S. a cup of tea to make him more comfortable. I'm thinking its his hat. He gets a lot of admiration and attention when his Australian hat, and that day he was wearing his beige one and looked so distinguished. 


Above: Mr. S.'s Australian hats and all-weather jackets. It was too dark to get a picture of him outside when we got home. We were gone most of the day.  I'm not liking that very much at all but I do get a lot of amusement being seen with Mr. S. where people always talk to him (and barely take notice me--they think I'm some kind of care giver).

Back to the tea room, which is called "Indulge" there are a number of private sellers that set up little vignettes and booths all around the establishment, so that you may browse before, during or after tea.  I came across this chiffon scarf. Does anyone remember wearing them? They came in all colors and were quite cheap at the time, and we wore them loosely on our heads to protect our hair arrangement.  I had not seen one in awhile.  The cost of this one was $12.  I think they used to be a dollar or less, back in the day.



Above and below: some of the colorful art in the physicians lobby. All the art in this huge facility is Northwest scenery--rivers, oceans, mountains, forests, flowers of the area.


In this reception room they provided hot and cold drinks and hot water to make our own.



Above and below: the view out the window of this room: remember I told you my son, with his crew, built the entrance area. He likes to talk to us about all the intricate details of this place, down to the rebar. (reinforcing bar).


Our life is a constant stream of foot check ups and so on the way home we always have to stop to pay bills, do business, etc.  Hopefully as Mr. S. wound gets smaller (as it is doing) we will not be out so much and be able to settle down and do all the things we have plans for. Gradually the appointments will cease until there will be a once a year check up. 

Each trip is 60 miles or more, and we are out nearly every day, so I'm really looking forward to slowing down and less travel expense. Hopefully one day there will be branches of this hospital nearer to the small towns and rural areas. 
 By the way, this hospital is called Riverbend and is in Springfield, Oregon, if you want to look it up.

In the physician's office, Mr. S. was asked if we had "in-home health care" which is a service you can get where a wound care team will come in and change the bandages. Mr. S. introduced me as his in-home health care person, which he said he never leaves home without, but I'm not sure they actually thought we were together. One of the nurses asked what group I was from! There are several of these services available. I couldn't think of a witty reply.  I know I have extra weight to lose, but never thought of myself as a group.

We also walked around quite a bit, since the therapist suggests Mr. S. use his foot, and that is really nice for people like us who enjoy looking at the interesting things in Hobby Lobby. We found a lot of Route 66 items, and I was sure disappointed when Mr. S. told me we had been through a part of that highway on our trip to Mexico, and I was not aware of it. It was not marked anywhere that I could see, but if I had known, I would have wanted to get a picture of him there. 

 These are all pictures I took during our walkabout in Hobby Lobby. Mr. S. likes all the signs and car pictures. 


In a future post I hope to include pictures of Mr. S.'s model car collection and hat collection. Like his ties, we have kept everything he has ever owned from childhood. That's why we keep talking about building bigger barns. ;-)




I have an etiquette talk forming in my mind, for children. It seems today they are more accustomed to bouncing around in a padded room instead of being able to identify what chairs and tables and plates and spoons are for. I've seen so many of them acting as though they don't know the difference between a toy and a tool, and nothing is off limits to them, as the parents admire the imagination and exploration abilities of the children. We don't want to scare little children with too much "no" but we also need to train and teach them to behave orderly in life, so that they are constructive and not destructive.  If you have anything you want me to include in this video (if I EVER do it) please leave a comment.
Fan at Hobby Lobby. I remember when we had some of these back in the day and no one wanted them when we tried to get rid of them. Now they are a hot item.


By using this recipe at Victoria.com and dividing it small enough for one or two people, I was able to make the vanilla cake. As I do not use sugar (I prefer maple sugar or honey), the texture was a lot softer.  

To make the salted caramel filling, you have to find a salted caramel recipe and reduce it to a small amount also if you are just making it for one or two people.  Mine worked well as a filling for the cake, and I added finely chopped walnuts.

The topping works well as is, in the Victoria mag. recipe, substituting the things you wish.  Top that with something crunchy, such as Maple sugar, and you have something similar, if not, better, to the salted caramel vanilla crunch cake. 

8 comments:

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

My mom had a green chiffon scarf that she wore over her rollers at night. She wore a bandana scarf when she had pincurls (thank goodness that fell out of fashion). When I was little I remember her starching and ironing her nursing cap. That went the way of the dinosaurs in the early 60's.
Good to know that the boss man is healing. Did they pack his wound or just let it open to heal?
Stay warm. It's raining here and there is a flash flood alert, but we're not in any danger, just the burn areas. LAX has reversed the pattern and they're taking off towards the city now. Coming in to land over the ocean.

Amy B said...

Glad to hear Mr. S is healing nicely. Occasionally I find one of those scarves (my Grandma wore them often) in a secondhand store. We’ve had a very grey day here, next door to OR, but without the rain or snow to make it worthwhile. I have yet to take down the Christmas lights because they are so cheery for these sort of days. Keep warm and well rested.

Lynn said...

That painting is quite outstanding...and reminds me of a forest area with a brook in my locale. The hospital is quite grand as are the grounds, gardens.....must have cost a huge fortune to put that all in.

Lynn said...

Regarding your travel time each week, that is really a lot. I too went this past week to the hospital in which will be my surgery (defibrillator to be 'installed') and it was 40-some miles and took an hour....so I can sympathize with your long drives back and forth to your hospital.

Mallorie said...

Thank you for sharing with us all of your adventures. It is sure fun to follow along. Concerning your child training video, I have something to add: We are currently expecting our 8th child (our oldest is 11) and when out and about as a family, especially when dining, we are often complimented on our children's good behavior and asked what our secret is. Firstly, God is good, and gives us wisdom when we ask for it, so we constantly do so since children weren't born with user manuals. Secondly, we reply to folks that we train and expect our children to act well mannered at our dining room table, and that it would never work (or be fair to the child) to allow them to run wild at home, yet suddenly demand excellent table manners simply because "others are watching." In short, teach your children to be thoughtful of others at home, and it will be second nature when you are out and about.

Lydia said...

Excellent point. Boorish at home means boorish in public.

And it all centers on the intense but sacrificial love the parents have for their children; that they will take the time to gently but firmly show them what is acceptable and what is not.

And it makes the children love in return;love others enough to be kind and courteous. It is how we share and show our love and respect for people.

Unknown said...

How I need to find time to journal! I have been having physical therapy twice a week and spending time filling out our life's history for a new MD. Taking pictures is a very good idea but the story us even better. My daughter gave me two journals for Christmas. That must be a hint. When I make time I think I will write to the Grandkids!

Deborah Swinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.