Thursday, January 10, 2019

A Settled Routine

We are looking forward to a settled routine here, so that we can make plans at home, with career, with creative goals, hospitality, and cleaning.  Our routine is still "out and about" as the wound on Mr. S.'s left foot heals.  Today I felt we had made some progress, as the wound care center set us up to come every other week. That's an improvement on twice a week, and once a week.  The wound is getting smaller and Mr. S. has developed a worse sense of humor that blindsides me every time.  I got rather anxious the other day when he kept dropping things on the wood floor, which echoes the noise much more--his keys, his pen, the alarm clock, and anything that made a sharp noise. When I asked him why he was dropping so many things, he thought for a minute and then said,

 "People have been known to drop things."

I don't know where he got the people-have-been-known-to.." thing, but it stops me every time. I totally lose the direction of my conversation and forget my point, and my brain is tied in knots trying to figure out how it relates to anything.


One of our sons bought him a new jacket at Cabela's--perfect for today's men's fashion update here on home living.

Thrice he has left his cane (which he is not accustomed to using) in a shopping cart and each time I went back and found it for him. When I told him there would be a fine levied every time I had to go find his cane, he decided not to bother with it any more. He began to whistle. I asked him how he could be so cheerful when he had languished in the hospital 10 days, had surgery, lost the entire month of December trying to recover,  lost his cane 3 times, he said:

"People have been known to whistle."

"Life is a lot more interesting  when you give up your plans."

 Two more pictures of paintings on the walls of the hospital where we go to have the wound care department check his foot:

 I have viewed scenes like this from the air when flying over this area.


Once again we stopped at HL on the way home. Mr. S. left his cane in the car and I didn't have to go back and find it, so he wanted a treat, and I got him a Route 66 fridge magnet:

I took some pictures in HL today of things that would look nice in this cottage here, though I find their prices terribly high on furniture:

This would work well for the bathroom as a place to put clothes, towels and personal items, or for a mother to sit on while minding a child in the bath.

This I imagine would look nice next to my bed (you haven't seen my bedroom yet--I'm still working on it, and it's not show worthy yet), as an end table and hair dressing table. That's me in the mirror with that pink coat I mentioned in the last post.

Any of these tubs would be lovely in the laundry room to stash soiled clothes awaiting laundry time.  I think it is great the next generation has an opportunity to use the kinds of things we started out with back on the farm!


Mr. S. is highlighting on the map the highway route we are going to take on another day trip soon, which I will post as we go along.  

In the meantime I'm re-doing my laundry room so I can be more efficient, so I'll be painting and hanging cute laundry signs, and maybe create a quaint laundry basket.  I'm using the washer and dryer that Mr. S.'s parents used. It is amazing how long those big clunkers last.

Today I am cutting out the green fleece coat and lining and hoping I can get it sewn while it still matches that pasture  of kelly green grass across the road.  As the grass grows, the color changes, so I am wanting the coat to be the exact color of that field since it is so astonishingly nice.

This is all the inspiration I can muster today. I'm so glad the physician visits (all 8 of the different offices involved) are going to be fewer and further between, giving me more time at home. Yesterday Mr. S. completed all his appointments by himself, amounting to stops in 3 different locations. It gave me time to make a batch of bread, clean the kitchen and catch up on laundry.

If I get the coat finished I will be sure and put it on the dress form and get a photo for you.

Thank you for continuing to be supportive, for your prayers and for the two ladies who made a donation. It is all deeply appreciated.

Sarah Elliot in Australia, I have not heard from you in awhile and I think the email I have is outdated, so I hope you will leave a comment or contact me by email. I know you use a braille computer and I wonder if possibly you have given up using the internet.

3 comments:

Laura Jeanne said...

This is a delightful post, Lydia. I love it that you take the time to share the interesting things you see when you are out. It's interesting to me since I go out so seldom.

It's also interesting that you mention the old washer and dryer you are using. I would love to see a photo of them, which I'm sure I will when your laundry room is complete. It's very true that really old appliances seem to last forever. We just got a new washing machine this very day - it's quite fancy, with computerized controls, lights, and musical effects! I don't really have faith that something that fancy can last very long. Our old washer was from 1986. So it lasted over 30 years, but eventually the transmission went on it. Actually, my husband was willing to try to fix it, but my parents jumped in a bought us a new one. We are secretly keeping the old one, because I have a feeling that the new one will die in a couple of years.

There, my new washer is singing me a song to let me know that the load is done! lol.

Julie said...

Mr. S's cheerful outlook is refreshing! I loved his quote,"Life is a lot more interesting when you give up your plans." (I have sometimes found that to be true when home schooling!) Hopefully he will make a full recovery, and life will be back to normal for you both very soon.

living from glory to glory said...

Dearest Lydia, so glad Stan is getting better! I love how you always look at different ideas, making each room lovely and yet practical. I also am learning to be flexible, because something always comes up! Miss you!
Love, Roxy