Thursday, February 03, 2022

Routines Can Provide a Support Structure


Getting into a routine can provide emotional stability. During uncertain  times in your life, those routines will give you a support structure.

Dressing up before approaching the responsibilities of the day is a very courteous thing to do. To yourself it gives the message of self-dignity. and to others, your good appearance shows respect.
I quoted Psalm 116:12 "What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits to me?" to show how looking our best is one thing we can do at home to acknowledge our great God.

People who do best in difficult times have developed the qualities of humor, prayer, good health habits including exercise, creativity, resourcefulness. and music.

The word spelled "s-t-r-a-i-t" is used in Matthew7:13-14.
I explained the difference between the Bible references to "strait" and "straight, words that sound alike but are spelled differently with different meanings. You can read more about it here. and here.  

If you were taking a class with me, my assignment for you would be to sing this song each night before you retire:


I read the following paragraph from The Art of Penmanship by Michael R. Sull:


One Day At A Time

Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense. This day is all that is good and fair. It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on all the yesterdays that have come before.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can learn many things from this paragraph  when you are teaching yourself or others.

This is only a part of the things in the broadcast, so please be sure and listen, while you get something done at home. I designed this program to accommodate busy people who cannot stop and watch something.

9 comments:

Lynn said...

I just LOVE the Emerson quote! Thank you Lydia, for including it....it's the first time I have ever read it.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Thank you Mrs. Sherman. Today I read the post before listening. I began my morning getting dressed and hair and make-up done. I must confess I'm wearing an older outfit since I'm cleaning today. Still presentable.

You've mentioned making ourselves classes in the past. I am using Duolingo to study Spanish. I have done it for over four hundred days now. This morning, I listened to their podcast which is partially in English and partially in Spanish. I understood a lot of the Spanish, but not all. It's all part of getting used to hearing the language contextually.

We finally got snow. That means winter is finally here in Southern Missouri. ~smile~ Tonight I plan to bring in some clean snow, pour some sweetened condensed milk over it, and enjoy snow ice cream!

Happy week ending!

Laura Lane
Harvest Lane Cottage
Happy to be Mostly at Home

Unknown said...

Good day Mrs. Sherman,

I just wanted to let you know I am thrilled to be "Homeschooled" by you. I am in my 60's and enjoy it so much! Thank you!

Mrs. McNeely

Janine said...

I like your hair up like that! So pretty. I haven't heard the Emerson quote nor the song before, and enjoyed both. So many interesting books. I esp loved Emilie Barnes books when I was in my 20s and 30s. I learned a lot from her about a variety of subjects and Christian living.

lesley bambridge said...

Thank you for your company today. I often like to listen while a take a rest, as it gives me lots of ideas to ponder. It’s so true about the lack of fresh air making it hard to think straight. I had been avoiding going outside this morning because the weather is wild and windy, but found myself feeling lethargic. A sudden decision to get a breath of fresh air took me outside to the buffeting breezes. I returned 15 minutes later feeling exhilarated and very happy.

If any ladies are feeling unmotivated to organise and declutter a little every day, I have a suggestion that might help. For each day I have a theme. Monday is Kitchen theme. Tuesday is shopping theme. So Monday I will do some beautiful things in my kitchen. Along with each theme I have written a reminder to practice slow-living. This means slowing my pace, and getting all my senses involved in the moment. I think about the lovely food I will put in my fridge, and might wipe the inside and tidy it ready. Perhaps with a little relaxing Classical music playing on my iPad, I will tidy the seasonings and spice rack. Again, with the slow pace allowing thinking time, Instead of rushing and clattering around, I avoid accidents and stress. As the next day is Shopping theme, I might think of a recipe that will use a seasoning or spice and write it on the shopping list. As you mentioned Lydia, the burden that lifts as you become more organised is significant. You don’t need a list of todos that give you a headache before you have even begun.

Southern Ladye said...

I have gotten behind in listening to the broadcast, but I am enjoying your words very much. I have a set of routines that I follow everyday and the structure makes my day go so smoothly, even if there is chaos. Having this past weekend disrupted due to recovery from a procedure, I had no worries that my home would be in shambles while I rested. My household routines are so engrained into my family that they carried on while I recovered. Thank you for sharing your insights with us.

Nadja said...

I love you book collection Mrs. Sherman. Would you happen to have a list on your blog of all the books you shared today? I tried to find The Homemakers daily routine online but I do not have the author's correct name. I will try to locate the Jane Austen one as well. If you're able to assist I would appreciate it very much.

Mountain Housewife said...

I very much enjoyed this, especially your instructions on routines and the importance of them. Could you talk a little more about what it means to "establish ourselves " and how that fits into biblical priorities? I think many of us feel like we should not make our own "establishment" a part of our goals. How does that fit into loving God and loving our neighbor? How does it go along with a sacrificial lifestyle in which we die to ourselves daily? I find all of this to be very intriguing and philosophical. Thank you so much for your frequent encouragement. -Amy Laurie

Lydia said...

Amy Laurie, Thank you for the suggestions. I'm interested in that word, too. I am always trying to find good content. I will be looking into this. God bless,
Lydia