Sunday, February 06, 2022

Health, Poem, Living Your Beliefs


Hello and Welcome to Homemaking Radio. 

In this episode. I shared how to make an easy spencer jacket simply by folding part of a jacket or cardigan under.


Leaving the back of the jacket as is, gives the garment a Regency shape:


A dress is one-piece and makes a more authentic look.

Turn the collar up and there you have an Austen-ish costume that can be comfortably worn at home.
Here is the dress with the teacup I shared:


The car wall-hanging seen at the top was made by Marina watercolorist teacher at Artworthy Life.


I thought about you while strolling about today






In this episode I read the poem:

The Bravest battle that ever was fought

  • The bravest battle that ever was fought!
    Shall I tell you where and when?
    On the maps of the world you will find it not;
    'Twas fought by the mothers of men.

    Nay not with the cannon of battle-shot,
    With a sword or noble pen;
    Nay, not with eloquent words or thought
    From mouth of wonderful men!

    But deep in a walled-up woman's heart -
    Of a woman that would not yield,
    But bravely, silently bore her part -
    Lo, there is the battlefield!

    No marshalling troops, no bivouac* song,
    No banner to gleam and wave;
    But oh! those battles, they last so long -
    From babyhood to the grave.

    Yet, faithful still as a bridge of stars,
    She fights in her walled-up town -
    Fights on and on in her endless wars,
    Then silent, unseen, goes down.

    Oh, ye with banners and battle-shot,
    And soldiers to shout and praise!
    I tell you the kingliest victories fought
    Were fought in those silent ways.

    O spotless woman in a world of shame,
    With splendid and silent scorn,
    Go back to God as white as you came -
    The Kingliest warrior born!

  • *bivouac - a soldier's tent or a place to camp without a tent


I also talked about living your beliefs by diligently attending to making the home a safe, comfortable and beautiful place. Spiritual values like goodness, thoughtfulness and good judgement can be applied in so doing.

To emphasize this, I read James 4:14-26 ---Show your faith by the things you do.  This is easy to do when you are out on a church mission, but much more needed in the home.

Please enjoy your work while you listen to the broadcast.

                 

9 comments:

Janet W. said...

Lydia, your dress is lovely and how cleaver you are to make a Regency jacket out of a blazer without cutting or sewing it! Bravo.
I remember the Lord Jesus not only telling his disciples how to do something, but always by example, showing how to do something.
There is a saying: learning is 90% caught rather than taught. My mother would say clean your room or wash the dishes, but she had to show me how it was done first. She was also smart knowing kids learned better and faster when it was done in play and was fun. She often made a game out of it so we giggled a lot. Then there was always a compliment on the job well done and a much gratitude for my help getting the job done.
Loved the poem!
Janet W.

Christal said...

You look so beautiful in that dress and coat, I love how you made the coat look as though it's regency style. Have a blessed week, thank you for all the encouraging words🙏

Wendi S. said...

I enjoy your "radio broadcast" so much!I love being a homemaker & listening to you as if on the radio to get things done.Thank you for saying that we shouldn't long to have lived in a certain Era,because we have the choice to live that same way as much as we can right now. I realize God has placed us wherever we are in His perfect plans & timing!
Wendi S.

Homemaker's Heart said...

Hello Lydia, you have such a dear broadcast today.
I cleaned most of my house (just the basics) during the broadcast. I loved your tip for making the jacket into a Regency style. Very creative!
I agree so very much about the assault on our senses when we go out. As I've aged, my "system" is a lot more sensitive than it used to be and when I am home it is either quiet or I have lovely classical music playing. Sometimes Christian music but it depends on the beat.
I was in a store last Friday, a small store downtown looking for a pair of shoes to wear inside the house. The music was so awful it caused me to be so distracted I couldn't wait to get out. Usually I can take a minute, breath and "tune it out", but this was not the case. Since I was the only one in the store it was hard to block it out.
You spoke about exercise as well. I found a website that has some very simple things to do at home that you really don't need anything. They recommend a ball and 3 lb weights, but it's not necessary. It's called: verywellfit.com/must-do-strenght-training-women-over-50-3498202
While I can't do many of them, they do seem to help me with a bit of strength. I just have to be careful to not get overfatigued before I even get to my housework!
Thank you for the wonderful broadcast. We should do a tea online (maybe Zoom) with all the ladies. Dress up and bring your favorite tea and snack to the the "Tea". Hugs to you and wishing you peace,
Dee

Lydia said...

Dear Lydia,

Thank you for sharing the photos from the manse. You embellish your posts with such lovely scenery, quotes, scriptures, and of course, tea cups. You help us to live out our best life in the home; and for that, I am so very grateful.

I noticed how green the grass is by you! We have snow and cold, but I love the stillness and beauty of snowy days during the winter months. Always a joy to listen to your broadcasts.

Blessings,
❤️Holly

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Hello Lady Lydia,
I was busy about the house cleaning while listening. Hope your week is refreshing!

Janine said...

Loved your broadcast, and the comments are so interesting, too! I enjoy all your sayings, like working outside the house is an equal opportunity for stress. I did a general cleanup while listening. 🏡

TiffanyK said...

This was a beautiful broadcast. Thank you so much for sharing! I did want to ask your opinion. My children went to a Christian private school where Abeka was taught this past year for kindergarten. I’m debating between homeschooling and private school for them next year. They are growing so fast and I don’t wanna miss his time with them what are your thoughts?I’m also a student in real estate.

TiffanyK said...

I apologize for the previous typos on the last message. I was speaking to text on my phone.

Blessings,

Mrs. Koch