Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Home Life During Trauma (1)


Hello Everyone,
At the request of some of my readers and listeners, I have created some videos dealing with the problem of sudden stress in the family.  While I cannot know personally about every person's family situation, I tried to cover some of the basic things. I learned a lot from Barbara Johnson's book, "Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy," and other things from long conversations with a friend who went through some unbelievable upheaval in her life.

When the homemaker is traumatized by sudden change, bad news, upheaval, or family problems, it can cause a type of shock to mind and body.  It is a challenge to keep stability in the home and keep the family reassured.

In this broadcast I've tried to cover a few things that a lady at home might be unexpectedly confronted by, and provide some things to do which may help.



I read a page from The Anne of Green Gables Treasury



Around the Manse Today:






The scriptures I read today:

Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness...that they may come to their senses..."
2 Timothy 2:23-26

You therefore...take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But, grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
2 Peter3:17-18

My brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.
James 5:19-20

If you are unable to comment , you may send your comment to me via email: ladylydiaspeaks@comcast.net and I will post it for you. Please indicate if it is just a personal message to me and not for publication.

Here is today's broadcast.

10 comments:

All for Jesus said...

Mrs. Sherman, thank you so much for taking the time to do homemaker's radio. It has been such an encouragement to me. I have gone back and listened to many of your past broadcasts while I work around my home. You are such a light in this dark world! Please be encouraged that you are doing a wonderful work! I will be adding your name and ministry to my daily prayer list. I agree that prayer is a powerful weapon and we all need it to stand strong in these difficult times. I wish I knew you in person, and that I could come to your ladies fellowship. True Christian friends seem to be rare and hard to come by. Thank you again, and please know that you are loved and appreciated!

Lydia said...

I don't deserve such praise, but thank you anyway ;-) And I hope you get a lot done.

Christine said...

First Pray...
Seven months ago I dealt with sudden terror. Our 10 lb. dog got attacked by a Pit Bull. Both were on a leash but the TWO ladies, walking the Pit Bull, couldn't control their dog.
Our dog was being tossed like a rag doll. When help came and our dog was dropped and my heart began to hurt. As it turned out, I had Broken Heart Syndrome. During the attack, I prayed and God answered my prayer. Our dog (Banjo) wasn't hurt. I ended up in the hospital and was told it "It doesn't look good", so they Medivaced me to a larger hospital.

I was confronted the possibility of dying but PRAYERS kept me comforted.
Today, I'm reocvered and doing well. Praying was all I could do and God was there!
God is good!

Songsparrowgarden said...

This was a provocative Title having recently lost my husband. Surviving the sheer Trauma of that experience cannot be expressed in any words I know of. I thought I would die. . . I hoped I would die. . .yet I continued waking up each morning, in sheer horror.

Many came to his wake. Others who I was certain would come as a show of support to me did not come. I thought friends would call to check on me. . that did not happen. So not only did I lose my husband of 35 years but I saw the truth of my supposed friendships.

I'm still in trauma. . not sure that I'll recover, or how to recover. . . but I was so glad to see this post today. It is truly the hardest and harshest time of my life and I find myself completely alone. Its Trauma.

April said...

Thank you for this post. I must say it was somewhat hard for me to get through as there have been a lot of traumatic things happening in my family growing up and during the early years of my marriage (not in my marriage itself). Im trying so hard to move past it and walk in love, but it is hard.
Anne of Green Gables is my all time favorite book. The miniseries done in the late 80's early 90's is very good. The first one is a fairly good adaptation of the first book. The second installment was also pretty close, the third, nothing like the book but still true to Anne's character.

One caveat....DO NOT watch the newest version called "Anne with an E" done by CBC. It was nothing like the books, and brought in very dark elements into the story line. I watched the first couple of episodes when it first came out...hoping it would get better. It didnt...its awful and left a sick feeling in my stomach. I couldnt finish it. The beautiful story of Anne was not brought out in it. It left me feeling as if the author, LM Montgomery, would have been very distraught at what they interpreted and added to her beautiful and timeless story.

Stick to the books, and the older miniseries version. Its much more pure and true and lovely and endearing.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, thank you for sharing ALL of this .. it all directly applies to my life on so many levels (government, family ...) and I am now a Prince Edward Island resident (and lifelong fan of Anne) so this was even sweeter. Sending you love from the bloomiest place! We planted 2,000 bulbs this past fall - I cannot wait to see them bloom this spring!

Mrs Bain said...

Anne of Green Gables is our family’s favorite story series. We are finishing up the last book in the series currently. We were blessed to travel to and camp a few days on PEI when my oldest two children were very young. There is an attraction there called Anne’s Land that is historic and lovely. People dressed in character operate a store that bottles Cherry Cordial and act out scenes from story. The island is beautiful and we visited the post office where Miss Montgomery worked while caring for her grandparents, who raised her. The home she lived in burned down, but a second home on the family farm is still standing and was then occupied by a descendant of her family.

Thank you for an encouraging installment. I wish that I had had better guidance dealing with trauma. Marilla’s words to Anne after Matthew’s death ring true. The sun will keep rising and we must go on in spite of the pain.

Lydia said...

Dear Lydia,
I have been reading your blog for many years, and although I've only reached out a few times, I wanted to say once again how much I appreciate your blog. It is like a breath of fresh air. I appreciate that you seem to follow the principles of Philippians 4:8 in what you dwell on and share with others. This is an area that I am always growing in!

Blessings to you,
Jessica

mystical heart said...

Thank you Lydia for another, fun, helpful and inspiring video. God Bless you for being a true Titus 2 woman. I am praying for you and your husband. I also appreciate the reminders of daily living and your sense of humor:-) Enjoy your day and evening. In Christ...isabella

Fran Sousa said...

I cannot imagine your pain! I will keep you in prayer. Fran πŸ™πŸ’–