Wednesday, July 19, 2017

A Sale

(This is a Pinterest picture from a British tea room)


Hello Ladies,

It's tea time here, and I have been up early hanging out laundry so I'm ready for cream scones and raspberry tea.  By the way, organic ingredients make much better, if not perfect scones. Your body is worth the extra care and cost of the best ingredients.


When the (waterproof) wicker settees with metal frames appeared in Walmart earlier this year, they were $50 each.  Today they were $19.00 and just two remaining, so I hastened to make a purchase.

I asked for help loading it in my car, and two young employees obliged. I asked them if they would stay by my car while I returned inside the store to get some chords to secure the trunk.


The men assured me the furniture would be safe without having guards, because, "Ma'am, I don't think anyone really wants it bad enough to go to the trouble of getting  it out of the car."

The other man said: "Besides, Ma'am,  anyone who steals it would have to lug it around, and you could spot the person a mile away carrying a stolen wicker settee."

They say "Ma'am" and "Sir" around here a lot, and especially at our Walmarts.

Not being accustomed to carrying large items that have to be tied down, it took me three trips back into the store to finally get the right sized chords:

The 24-inch length anchored the trunk lid well enough. It never moved at all the entire drive home, so I guess I figured out a new skill. We now have a new supply of bungee chords in the trunk. Every size.

While driving home, I laughed out loud at the Walmart employees and their description of someone awkwardly fleeing with the furniture after trying to get it out of the trunk. It was firmly wedged in there and never made a rattle all the way home.

It's always so satisfying to make a dollar stretch and still have something that looks rich, on the lawn. Besides all that I got a free story...although it is kind of what we call a "groaner."  By the way, there were several of the brown settees left, for the low price. 

Although these are all-weather outdoor things, they actually will crack if left in direct ice, snow, and heavy rain.  It is best to have covers for them if left outside in winter. Last year I brought my waterproof table and chairs in the house and used them.  

I always like taking pictures of the view from both sides of the window.

9 comments:

Justme said...

Dear Lady Lydia,
Those wicker settles are so gorgeous. I imagine that you will make them even more lovely with your pretty throws and cushions. I've really enjoyed your beautiful tent pictures too, I'm inspired to make one my self.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

What a beautiful sofa and at a remarkable price xx

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

While we were cleaning out the garage a couple of weekends ago, I found 2 brand new, never opened, containers of bungee cords. I don't think we have that many things to secure, but if we need them, we'll have them.
Those wicker loungers look nice. I got 2 Adirondack chairs that are hard plastic at Home Depot for 15$ each at the end of summer last year. When the wind finally dies down, I'll go out to the front patio and enjoy them.
Hope you are feeling better.

Heartshome said...

What a find! It's just lovely and will be enjoyed for years to come.

Willow said...

What a bargain - I think these settees will look lovely in your garden - perfect for having afternoon tea! Your story about the two helpers at Walmart made me laugh ..... how lovely that they helped you to load up your car though, and they were polite and friendly.

anonymous said...

What a plum of a deal! Those white wicker settees go with everything in your home too. Well done! I would store them indoors during the winter though. Even with covers they could crack in the cold weather.
Can hardly wait to see what you do with them.

Your cream scones and raspberry jam sounds soooo good.
Janet

Lynn said...

Besides really enjoying your furniture story..I also was inspired by the suggestion that we use ORGANIC ingredients for our scones....I didn't know that would make them taste better....I am glad for your advice on that! Happy scone and tea time on your new setee....(spelling?)

Anonymous said...

Lydia ... how wonderful to have purchased it for such a low price :-) ... enjoy it :D

Kimberly said...

Do you have a recipe to share for your tea and scones?