Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Prettyish Park




Please note that the little story has been added to the the Window Seat post which was published previous to this one.

   "Miss Bennet, there seemed to be a prettyish kind of a little wilderness on one side of your lawn. I should be glad to take a turn in it, if you will favour me with your company." (Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice")


We have had company for awhile, and on the day they left, I couldn't seem to concentrate on anything at home, as it was suddenly so silent around here. My husband and I went to a prettyish park nearby for a walk.

I would like an arch or two like this at home!

Two trees, a white and a pink one, were in bloom and had very clear color. I want one of each of this kind in my yard, too. So lovely to look at!

Although the park included a huge rose garden, I only found a few in bloom.


The white flowers growing in the lawns looked so soft.


My husband officiated a wedding in this gazebo a few years ago.



We saw one last rose in the sunlight and then went home, to conclude that we had a prettyish kind of a little wilderness on one side of the lawn right here at home and could go for evening walks on the roads around us. Until the rose garden is in full bloom, we will be walking around here close to home.


Back home again:
While out for our walk I got plenty of ideas and was glad to get home and write them all down. I look at colors and textures, noting contrasts, variations of light, sounds, and gather it all up for future creativity at home.  I might, for example, look at the carpet of white flowers on the green lawn and want to make a long skirt with a border of those colors.  The arbors, the blooming trees, the river--all have a place in the inspiration to sew, to garden, to clean house, to entertain or to set a table for two. Any outing can inspire poetry, stories, art and any number of creative things.  If you cannot take an outing, be sure and sit a spell just to rest your mind.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to go for walks and see God's creation from a different perspective. To see how the gardens are put together truly fills our minds with new ideas :0) Thank you for sharing Lydia...have a blessed day! mari

Dawn said...

It's such a lovely time of year when the trees are blooming.

That park looks so pretty and peaceful.

What hardiness zone do you live in? I live in zone 6 and we are still waiting for the grass to green up and the trees to show leaves. The only thing blooming in my yard are the crocuses.

Michelle said...

What a refreshing post.
I am going to try more nature inspiration in my sewing and paper craft.

Blessings

Jenny said...

Roses in bloom -- how fortunate you are!

Mrs. Cote said...

I think that park is more than prettyish, it's downright beautiful! I love the archways. Here in the northeast our parks tend to be more wilderness, a different kind of pretty. There is a botanical garden not too far I'd like to go visit sometime when my little one gets walking but they charge admission.