Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Sick in Style



Someone sent me a lovely post from somewhere about being sick in style. The article suggested having the blankets all neat and tucked in, fixing your hair and washing your face, wearing a nice bed-jacket, having a tray of necessities nearby (tissues, water,), something to read, extra pillows, hot water bottle for cold feet, and an attractive tray of appealing food. And, would it not be nice to be brought a fresh bouquet of pink carnations? How about a bell to ring when you need something, and one of those automatic shut-off electric kettles to heat water for a hot lemon drink or herbal tea?  It would be nice to have someone come in and clean the room to perfection!

I think also a bedroom should have a window low enough to see the view outside. I think the above photo is in Canada, but one can see the point!


Speaking of Canada, I recently watched a Hallmark series, Season 1 of the Jeannette Oake book called "When Calls the Heart," which is set in a coal mining town in the early 1900's or possibly late 1800's.  I rarely find pictures of men drinking tea, but I remember before mugs existed, most men drank tea from the regular teacups, without a second thought.  I was amused to see the scene with Canadian constable drinking tea in the saloon, among the rough coal miners. I wonder how many other viewers saw this and if the producers knew how much attention this little scene would get. Avid collectors want to zoom in and see that teacup!

The Canadian Mountie is played by an Australian actor, who did a very good job with the Canadian accent. On the Hallmark channel previews online, he speaks of his role in this series, and reverts back to his natural Australian accent.  It is amazing to me how people can master other accents.

My mother was Canadian, from the Alberta prairies.  During the depression a richer couple offered to take the two youngest children (my mother and sister) to stay with them so they would get more to eat and have more comforts.  My mother and her sister enjoyed it the first couple of days, with beds of their own, nice clothes, plenty of food, a fancier school, but then began to cry and want to go home. The couple wanted to adopt them because they had no children of their own, but after a week of listenning to them cry for home, the rich man and his wife gave them back to their family.  Mama told this story a lot and we thought it was so unusual, having never seen such a thing happen, but during the depression, it was one of those things that took place which we think is very odd, today!


A four-day stomach flu is going around, and everyone who has had it says the best cure is bed rest. I felt it coming on,  rushed home after church on Sunday and got in bed, where I have been ever since. A little nurse with a tag on her dress comes and checks on me, offering to bring me anything I want on a tray.  Since I didn't want anything she brought me the tray with a letter she wrote.  I felt like a rich woman being served the mail by a butler. The letter said I was not allowed to die. 

  I keep thinking how far behind I am getting in everything, especially a couple of sewing projects I have been wanting to complete. 

Here is one I finished just before I fell ill. It was supposed to be a Thanksgiving dress, then as time got away from me, a Christmas dress, and then I thought I just might finish it for Valentines Day. Finally this mother-daughter set was finished on Saturday and the girls looked great in them on Sunday.   The fabric is kind of a thick weave, a bit like burlap, 100 percent cotton, and it was easy to sew. As it is washed, it gets softer.  I have had a green set cut out, which I hope to finish soon.


I thought the girl's dress looked western pioneer style, while the mother dress took on an Elizabethan look. The rose print with its vine lends itself to the Tudor Rose print. Clothing construction has a lot of things involved, as you see, because sometimes the material alone determines the pattern that should be used. These dresses are made for wearing at home. Because they are new, the ladies will wear them to church and when they need to go somewhere, and as they wear out, will be used for everyday at home.

This is the pattern I used, but I added the neck ruffle and didn't put buttons on the skirt. It is a German pattern company and as I looked more carefully at the words on the pattern pieces I saw the English words were included. With these patterns, the instructions are online, rather than inside the envelope. I couldn't be bothered looking up the instructions and managed to put it together okay.


This is the other dress not yet sewn. The reason this happens is either the weather changes and the garment is too warm or cold.  Then of course there are a lot of other things to do for home and church, and it is easy to get behind in my sewing hobby!

14 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

I enjoyed the When Calls the Heart series, too. How well it was done. Love scene where the constable was drinking tea from the teacup. I tried to get a good look at the pattern, but it's too blurry when magnified. I'd love to know the name of the set though. Looks to be a scene rather than flowers on the cup.
p.s. I respectfully loathe clunky mugs, even the name, mug is distasteful.

Always Learning said...

I LOVE When Calls the Heart! I'm so glad they renewed it and it begins soon. How beautiful you make sick being! My mom used to make the days that we were sick so fun. She'd set us up on the couch with coloring books and crayons, favorite TV shows, etc. It was wonderful...I even got to miss school!

Lydia said...


When the mug first came out it was considered unrefined, and some people refused to drink out of them! They would request a "normal cup"! Now I am afraid it is the opposite! Tes do not taste as good when taken in mugs.

Lydia said...

In some photos the teacup looks like Friendly Village and in other photos it looks like red or blue Transferware (toile) scene of a lake and trees.

Christine said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! Blessings, Christine

Dawn said...

I'm sorry you were sick. But it sounds you were well taken care of. How sweet your nurse is. She sounds like she was very worried about you.

Oh, the dresses are so pretty! I need to bite the bullet and learn to sew so I can have pretty dresses like you.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you are sick:(
Hopefully you will be well and well rested soon.
I agree...tea in a mug is not the same as tea in a pretty cup...half the fun is choosing which cup to use.
Hugs from Shirley

fallenstar80 said...

I hope you have a speedy recovery. I had that flu and it is not pleasant.

fallenstar80 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lydia, I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Rest and rest some more until the bug leaves for good. I so enjoy reading J. Oke books...and this particular series is very dear. Feel better soon. By the way the dresses look so lovely :0)

Alex said...

Sending best wishes for your recovery ~ the dresses are lovely!

Unknown said...

That does look like British Columbia, which is where I live :) I also love those Janette Oke stories. Those dresses are beautiful. I hope you feel better soon. Indeed it is good to be in a clean and pleasant environment. I'm thinking back to a time when the whole family tended to the one who is sick. sadly, today even school children can be left home alone to recover.

Jenny said...

I love When Calls the Heart, too. The dresses are really cute, Lady Lydia. How sweet for mother and daughter. Get well soon!

Lydia said...

Our families used to make a big deal out of caring for the sick at home. Moving us out to the couch in the livimg room, preparimg a tray for us, providing books and things to do,me as part of it. Mothers would clean house and clean up the beds and bedrooms to make everything cheerful.