Tuesday, December 09, 2014

A Review of Purpose





Good Day, dear ladies, friends and relatives,

After more than 15 years on the internet, I have noticed a new crop of visitors. Perhaps they are younger ladies wanting to read blogs about home life, (click on the blogs on the left of my sidebar to see many other beautiful blogs)  or maybe there are older women who want to read blogs that address the concerns of ladies their age.  Some of the newcomers have never been acquainted with what is called a blog. Whatever the case is, I need to recap the purpose of this blog, and perhaps other homemakers who have blogs will agree.

Although blogging is older than facebook and other social media,(some blogging was available as early as 1994) there are people today who are not familiar with blogs. For newcomers, let me explain that  the word "blog" is a combination of the words: web, and log, and is similar to what a ship's log, or daily (perhaps hourly) written record of something; like a diary. In the case of homemakers blogs, it is more a sharing of things that go on in the home, in order to spread the message of homemaking as an honor and a noble task for ladies.


Being a preachers wife, I was often invited to be a speaker to ladies at various "Lady's Day" church events. Because my loyalties were to my family, and I was homeschooling,  I did not like the prospect of travelling a distance to be a speaker. I did not want to spend a lot of time away from home talking about the important role of women in the home. I still wanted to create lessons  that would be helpful to my sisters in the church, so I began a paper newsletter which fulfilled that goal. 

While it was nice to speak to a group of ladies in another location away from home once in awhile, I could see it might oppose the New Testament admonition to women to teach the younger women to guard and guide their homes. Being a public speaker and motivator could easily become a career that would not be home-based. I wanted to be a good example to my children and the church members by being a keeper at home and teaching others the same.  Blogging provided a way of teaching without contradicting the very message that the Bible teaches: to be dedicated to marriage, home and family.

 There was a trend to get a high-profile motivational religious speaker for  Lady's Day programs, but the cost was high. The lady would have to spend a lot of time away from home and as her fame grew, others would be contacting her to be their speaker, until, before she knew it, she would be engaged in a full-time career.  Sometimes ladies find a religious activity, even a personal charity, becomes a demanding career, and this, I felt, was not in harmony with the scriptures directed to women in the church. No ministry should contradict its message.

 When blogging was available on the internet, I saw it as an even better opportunity to give something to my sisters in Christ and to the world without neglecting my home, and without leaving home. It would not require other women to neglect their husbands, children and houses in order to enjoy a "Lady's Day" or a ladies Bible class. On this blog, every day is ladies day. It would reach beyond my local family and church. 

 Ladies who were reluctant to leave their children and their homes to attend Lady's Day classes  (which often lasted an entire day) might benefit from reading a blog like this. Many other ladies at home felt the same way and their blogs were a way of sharing their homes and imparting their Christian values. That way, ladies could stay home and still be able to attend a Lady's Bible Study. I do not think it would work for an Afternoon Tea ( I prefer real guests, real  sandwiches and scones with jam!) but it has been a very effective way to share, without expense to the guest. Some ladies Bible studies and Lady's Day events charge a fee, whereas reading blogs is free.


 A blog has the advantage of using scriptures, pictures, videos, music, chat, and a host of other things straight from the home, almost instantly. Paper newsletters took much longer to print, fold, stuff in envelopes, address, etc. The expense would take too much out of the family finances. For many Christian ladies, blogging is a convenient way of using the technology available to our generation, for the glory of God. 

 Other ladies saw this as an opportunity to share their values and influence with their loved ones and also teach good things to honest seekers of truth. It is is not always possible to get ladies together for a Bible study, and blogging can provide a way. I try to include many helpful blogs on my sidebar so that there is a variety of tastes presented  and something for everyone. 


The purpose of this blog is to teach good things, as in the following scripture:

 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;  Titus 2:3


My blog invites you, as much as possible into my home and into my life. In return, I have made many friends, (some whom I have met and personally visited) and been reciprocally encouraged.  


Most reasonable, intelligent people agree that this scripture is clear enough in its admonition to ladies, and that to teach it is a good work and a demonstration of compliance with the will of Christ. I hope all who come here will be blessed and inspired to be happy and content in the blessings of the home.


This is the explanation of my blog to the newcomers that have been visiting. If you are new here, you may read more about this blog here.I welcome your comments. If you are new to blogs, please click the word "comments" just under the article to read comments. The comments are often an extension of the blog posts, and are very edifying, so I would encourage you to read them. Another way to make comments appear with the article is to click on the title of the post.


Please click the comments to read what others are saying.



14 comments:

Yvette said...

Thank you very much for all the work you put into your blog. It is MUCH appreciated by me. I have been a reader for a few years, but don't have a blog of my own. I have been able to share much of what I read with other friends and family members. It is so encouraging to read from someone who is trying to make sure her ministry to other women is in harmony with what Scripture calls us to do in our homes--to keep it! You are a true blessing. :)
Thank you again!

~Yvette

Christine said...

I also want to thank you Lydia! I am a single mid-40s woman who works outside the home full-time and looks to your blog and others to encourage me in being a keeper of the home even as a single woman. Blessings to you!

Christine said...

Your blog has helped me focus on what is important, my family and home!

The day I quit my job, I was a daily reader.
Now I'm... ~Home-Sweet-Home~

Rhonda said...

I also appreciate your sweet blog. I've been reading a good while and never knew you're a preachers wife. So that was a fun fact to learn today.

Suzanne said...

I also did not know you were a preacher's wife. That is tough to balance speaking engagements with home, home schooling and helping your husband with the flock. I admire you never felt pulled to be outside the home speaking. Keep up the encouraging work, so many need a kind word and truth in this not so pretty world.

J said...

Thank you for writing this blog! It is so encouraging to me as a young homemaker.

Miss Betsy said...

Lady Lydia, thank you for writing your blog. It is so uplifting to read, and I enjoy looking at the beautiful photos and lovely paintings. In times of turmoil, you bring a breath of peace and sweetness into many of our days!

Unknown said...

No ministry should contradict its message.

So true! Can I make an image and post in on my tsu account?
Tsu.co/majesticgoldenrose

Secondhand Blessings said...

Lydia;
I've been reading your blog for many years now, I"m 50+ and although I'm not exactly young myself, I find you very inspirational, encouraging and your articles are very informative. Keep up the good work.
Brenda

Lydia said...

Kate, yes!

becky said...

I have been reading your blog since the beginning. I have always enjoyed it and the calming way your present your message for us ladies. thank you
Becky

Andrea R said...

A loyal, long-time reader here!

You have mentored me, and I have gained so much knowledge and grown in Grace as a result of your lovely blog..

My life is one of quite a bit of isolation-much of that by choice. I choose to be at home, as being away from home, even in social pursuits, makes it difficult to fulfill my work and joy here. Some of my isolation comes from knowing very few women who lead a similar life to mine.

My wonderful church is filled with very nice folks, but I know of very few, if any, ladies with whom I can relate.

Reading this blog helps to remind me it is not the approval of others, or the socialization of my weeks that matters..it's what I do to serve my Lord God, and my husband and family!

God Bless you!

Linda said...

I have been a reader for a few years. I am 59 and enjoy your writing very much. I think we are never to old to learn and I have learned a lot from you. I appreciate your gentle style of writing and the beautiful pictures you post. Thank-you for your time and work you put in your blog to help others.
Linda

Unknown said...

Dear Lydia,
Your explanation of the reasons for blogging is so extensive and has such wisdom. Thank you so very much for the studying, time and prayers that you have invested into all of us that are benefiting from your blog.
May God continue to reach ladies hearts with the true purpose and calling of their earthly life.
Trish Clark