Monday, March 02, 2020

Home Living With Ease


Hello Dear Ladies,

While taking notes for the next video, I came across some things I wanted to share right away on a post.

Often we who are at home full time will make living at home more difficult than necessary.

One reason for that is being too much up-to-the-moment in our preparations, cleaning, and general house keeping, that we feel rushed and stressed. In explanation, we only do what is necessary for the moment instead of being a day ahead or a week ahead.  I'm going to try for being 4 days ahead in my house, in most things. That will enable me not to panic when the house needs to be ready for something unexpected.

We can live at home with ease if we keep up with ourselves.  If we learn to tidy up as we go, there won't be a big crises cleaning when the clutter and the laundry get piled up.  

Accept the fact that living at home means there will be dishes to wash, meals to prepare, clothing to clean and things to put away. You will be living in your home and it will not be like a hotel with hired help.

However, you can be your own best help by not leaving a trail of destruction. I often look at the work around here and have no one to blame but myself.  It is easier to spend a few minutes straightening things out and putting things away "as you go" and "each step of the way" than to dread a cleaning day that is looming like a thick black cloud in the future, spoiling your current enjoyment of life.

That being said, you may still have to take some time to get it all the way you want it, in the first place, and that will entail a big amount of time. But, once you get it the way you like it, it is easier to maintain.  Just go back and check it periodically and put it to right when you see something out of place or that needs discarding.

I mentioned in a video how a certain place in the kitchen or entry becomes a catch-all and attracts more and more clutter, but these areas can be great practice areas for keeping everything in order and getting in good habits.

Then, you can add your little "beauty spot" somewhere as a crown to your de-cluttering achievement.  

I've perched this cute bag on a ledge here. It was from Wal-Mart for 98 cents. One side is glittered.   I was just reading what people say about we "Wal-Mart people" but they do not understand.  We do not have a high-end department store in these rural areas and small towns and neither do we have the money to throw away on expensive things. Walmart has just what some of us need, and I've got furniture and clothing that has lasted for years and years from there. I began buying at Walmart when everything was Made in the USA because that was one of Sam Walton's policies.  This is coming back now and it is good to see.


I hope the ideas I wrote here can put you at ease in your own home. One of the reasons we create stress is that we copy the job industry and the commercial standards, and even the magazines. Its easier to be at ease when your home is a reflection of your own likes and tastes. It is more enjoyable to care for your home when you appreciate your own things. And, it helps a great deal if you have a habit of cleaning, decluttering  and arranging as you go.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I hear you about rural living. I like to say our town is an hour from anywhere. We have a Walmart, many fast food places, a few local shops/expensive/out of our budget like many other small towns, but no real chain department stores.

My fave places to get seasonal décor is at Walmart and Dollar Tree, and either Dollar General or Family Dollar. No shame in my game! They have the cutest stuff, at prices you can afford. I have small boxes or totes that I put the seasons stuff in after I take it down, and then that box goes in a closet, shelf, under the bed, ect. I reuse these decs year after year. I get compliments, too.

About the catch all? Yep, we have a huge laundry room in our mobile home, with lots of counter space, but the mail and junk still winds up in the kitchen, open to all! lol Clean as you go is def a good rule to have.

living from glory to glory said...

A wonderful reminder about being ahead in our homes! But some days are just easier to get a double portion done, so when I am away from home at Walmart getting my shopping done, or just picking up an order. I can not feel so far behind! Walmart has things that are good quality and are affordable, and so easy to use when sending a gift to someone who lives in another state.
And I also have spots that just seem to catch the clutter, and I just hide it when someone comes to visit, LOL But it is always a stack of nosense mail (junk mail)

Spring is coming and we can open all the windowa for some spring air!
Hugs, Roxy (loved the written post) xoxo

lynn maust said...

Nice to be able to READ what you have to say....thanks for that post!

Kelsey said...

I have been a long time reader, but I think this is my first time commenting! I have really enjoyed listening to your videos and I am also happy to read a post from you.
I have a few things around the home that I need to catch up on before I can get ahead, but I know that once I do, it will be so much easier to stay on top of everything. I am getting there one day at a time.
Thank you for being such a lovely example to Christian ladies!