Monday, September 01, 2014

Morning Tea



This morning while taking a donation to Goodwill, I happened upon another teacup in perfect condition.




The flower print appears to be hydrangea but there was no title of the art on the bottom of the cup or saucer.


This was an interesting find, and it replaces a couple of cups that were chipped or broken which I had to remove from the shelf. 




There is still a sunny afternoon to be spent here, but I wanted to drop by and leave this bright picture of the teacup.  

So far, today I have done a little gardenning (weeding, watering, mulching) and have sewn a facing for another dress.  I appreciate those of my readers who send me gifts of donations, as it enables me to get fabric from my new favorite store that just came into the area: Hobby Lobby.  The fabric is better quality.  Here is a picture of the fabric I am using today, on the right.

The name of it is Fabric Traditions, but the blue piece on the left from Walmart is much thinner. I enjoy working with the better quality print with the beige background from Hobby Lobby.  I will hang the finished projects on the  outdoor clothesline  for a picture when I get these garments completed.





This week we reconstructed an old metal swing that was broken, and I painted it white. It needs one more coat of spray paint.

Although not too comfortable a seat, it is nice to pad it with my old cushions and a little quilt.

It has a small container on the side to hold a drink.  As you can see in the background lawn,  there is a dry spell going on here. It does not affect my enthusiasm at all because it is the right kind of weather for painting things outdoors, and I hope tomorrow I will be able to paint a few more things.

Some of the church members who have been here the longest are painting the trim on the "meeting house" and this is what it looks like:






It has never had a color on the trim, as long as I have known it, and old photographs show a plain white building, so it is taking some getting used to. I like the way it makes the white paint look whiter and I like the light blue paint.

The name comes from Romans 16:16 "...the churches of Christ salute you."

I hope to post again soon about something I have observed from Titus 2, the theme of this blog, so be sure to check back again.

Please put aside anxiety and create a wonderful evening for yourself.

Php 4:6    Be anxious for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.



9 comments:

sem said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile but never commented because, well, I didn't have anything to add. I get so much out of it, it's like having a Titus 2 mentor. So last night I was letting anxiety have it's way and decided to check for new posts. The flower stuff and the fabric stuff was pleasant. Then I got to the last line and scripture. It jumped out at me as if it were written just for me. I generally don't make such assumptions but, it was exactly what I needed to read, exactly when I needed it. So thank you. Thank you for your faithfulness and your desire to be that arrow pointing to heaven.

Lydia said...

Worry is a ploy designed to distract you from something else; something great and important that you may do. A woman sitting in her home being happy and tending her own business is doing a good thing and worry will detract from that.

anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the scriptures to us Lydia, they are so relevant. The Lord knew so long ago how we would need to hear them today.

Your fabrics are very pretty. I can see one of the rose bouquets appliqued on a soft pink fabric pillow or a pocket of a dress made of one of the solid colors in the bouquets.

I enjoyed your teacup and saucer.

Mrs. J.

Katrinka said...

I spend my days taking care of my husband, and my schedule has to revolve around his needs. I belong to an online forum of other people who do the same and we try to encourage each other or answer practical questions.

Once a lady posted that she was just so overwhelmed with so many important decisions that needed to be made that she wanted to make like an ostrich and stick her head in the sand. Another woman responded and said if it weren't for occasionally sticking her head in the sand, she didn't know how she would make it!

It's so true that we who are keeping our homes a place of comfort and peace already have enough to keep us occupied. I used to be involved in many things, good things, but my world grows smaller and smaller with my husband's decline. Long ago I decided that someone else was going to have to worry about all those things for awhile. The world events that have most people so stirred up will have to resolve themselves without me. And most of the people who are having a miserable day today because of the supposed condition of our country, will make no impact on the situation with all their fretting and discouragement.

I'm happy to report that in our part of the country Wal-Mart has re-established it's fabric department. I think they discontinued it 2 or 3 years ago. Hobby Lobby and other fabric stores are 40-50 miles away. The local quilting store has some fabric but it's all discontinued patterns and if I need more than what they carry of a certain pattern that I like, I'm out of luck. I like the better quality fabric as well and hope that Wal-Mart will carry some of them. It's discouraging to put a lot of time and effort in making something to have it wear through or tear after a short time.

Amy B said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I needed the reminder. Ann Voskamp has said, "Worry is belief gone wrong. Because you don't believe God will get it right. Peace is belief that exhales. Because you believe God's provision is everywhere - like air." Thank you for focusing on the truth positively. (Also, the meeting house is looking very spiffy.)

Lydia said...

Katrina,

I would like to discuss this more. What you said is good sense. We are at an advantage if we have lived long enough to have seen the wars and rumors of wars that will always be with us. No matter how hyped up we get, it wont make it easier to solve our own problems which we are responsible for. I think a Woman should have a goal of having nothing to worry about except having a clean house, a clean yard and property, and getting her Bible study done.

Ever since I can remember, we have been told we have to be informed and so we should liste. To the media. The trouble with that is that it is the is the information chosen by someone else. It is usually bad news which a Christian is not supposed to dwell on. I remember feeling tense in my youth because of world events. I never could relax and enjoy life. Finally I did some research about it and discovered that it he important thing is yiur responsibilities at home. It's okay and even imperitive to enjoy good food, pleasant music, nice friendships, your hobbies and your home. There is nothing else worth worrying about. The world would be less troubled if more people would do that.

Finding Joy said...


Hi Katrinka,

I have started quilting but sadly quilting fabrics (and good quality fabrics) are expensive in Australia so I buy most of what I need from the USA. Hawthorne Threads has the most beautiful range of fabrics and I have bought quite a bit. They advertise their fabric for both quilting, craft and dressmaking. For us, this fabric is half the cost so I consider it to be inexpensive. They are based in New York but have a lovely website and a very quick service (even for us here in Oz). In fact I buy almost all my fabric on line these days, including dress making fabric.

I read a lovely quote a while back: “Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere”. And none of us should worry, it is mentioned so many times in the Bible – we can feel sad about the current situation in this world, then we must leave it with God to deal with. And we can pray for those suffering which I think is very important to do.

Jo

Susan said...

The fabric is so pretty. I think it would be great to see women walking around in those beautiful prints. It would brighten the landscape. Can't wait to see what you make.

I took a 2 hour slow stroll around the small town I live in here in the northeast USA. I looked at the faces of the people and children and at the homes, the front porches, the alleys and walkways. I saw children with a look of dismay on their faces, even a child who was following me around on his bicycle and wanting to know who I was, clearly because he was suspicious of my behavior. I saw endless rows of apartment rentals with peeling paint and crumbling sidewalks and homes with piles of garbage on the front porches and overgrown lawns. Residents sitting on porches just glared at me when I said hello. There seems to be an overwhelming feeling of fear and dismay in the air.
How different everything would be if took the responsibilities we have been given as Christian women, threw away the fear and worry and set to changing the world around us to a better place. The children are suffering, home life is non-existent and communities are in distress. Worry is one of the things keeping us from doing what we need to do.

I would like to discuss this topic further in the future also. I think we need to support each other in moving forward to make things better. The world will not change but we can change our communities one home at a time. It has taken me a long time to realize this and this blog has been one of the factors in my realization.

Lynd said...

Thank you for your thoughtful post.
I struggle with living in the day. Jesus words are good medicine to our fear ridden culture. Your blog is such a refreshing place to visit!