Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Homemaker


                                 
Guarding and guiding the home entails more than meets the eye. Though I had a long list of things that needed to be done, not one task on that list was accomplished. There were many other things that took precedence. When someone asks you what you do all day, it is not always easy to tell them. If you wrote down every thing you do, it would be easier to see where the day went.


       For example,  today I hung out the towels, made the bed, prepared a hot breakfast, went to the post office, grocery store and cleaned up the porch, checked the mail and processed it, sorted a box of papers, prepared for a Bible class, cooked dinner and cleaned the kitchen.  

Sometimes people judge the homemaker by how many areas in a house are in good order, because they fail to take in to account the other things she does they do not see. No one notices that the laundry is caught up and no one counts the trip to the grocery store as part of her homemaking.  No one sees the time spent to pay the bills and get them in the mailbox at the end of the road.  No one notices the time spent writing a letter or sending a sympathy card. No one sees behind the closed coat closet that it has been organized, and cleaning out a desk is never noticed. Mending a tablecloth or sewing a button on a shirt so not as noticeable as a room cleaned up, but these things are all part of making things work better.

        
Another thing that happened during my homemaking day is the arrival of this pink doll pumpkin. That is a little squash next to it. Someone who knew I wanted the pink doll pumpkin left it on the table outside.

                                 
While I was doing the household shopping I found this delightful embroidery transfer.  I thought it would be enjoyable to have a dish towel for each day of the week, as part of teaching a younger woman, and also for the collection in her trunk. These transfers cost $1.59 at Hobby Lobby.



                                     
Even though the day is ending here, I still have some things I need to do before retiring, because I do not want to see the mess in the morning. 











10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lydia...it took such a long time for me to finally accept that everything I do, and I do mean everything...hemming a pair of pants for my husband, grocery shopping, laundry and such, is still home keeping.

I keep a diary of what I do everyday, this way, when I am feeling low or overwhelmed, I can look back and see how much I have truly accomplished :0)

Christine said...

Dear Lydia,
I am always amazed at how fast my day goes. I am a homemaker five days out of seven (hopefully it will soon become seven out of seven :-) .
I often tell my husband, that for someone who isn't working out in the world, I stay very busy! As I am a true homebody, that does not include a lot of time out of the home. It is incredible how much time it takes to "make a home"!
Blessings,
Christine x

JES said...

Thanks for sharing a part of your day. I also like to make sure everything is tidy for waking in the morning. It just makes for a better start! :)

Finding Joy said...

Women are such busy creatures often doing all those small jobs that no one really notices unless they aren’t done. I like to go to bed with a tidy house, there is nothing worse than waking up to a mess. Order and tidiness creates far less stress. Today I am making my 3rd trip to the hardware store for my husband – on my last trip I bought saws for cutting timber! Not something I have ever bought before. The first for everything.

Farrah said...

The transfers are adorable!

anonymous said...

Planning the day out ahead of time is a good idea. It is hard for me to stick to such schedules though. I have at least three lists going all the time of things that need to be done, from the short to the long term. Wishfully thinking, I tend to over schedule my plans for the day and then am disappointed when I can't possibly get it all done.

Most days I just do what needs doing first, if there is time I go on to do other needful tasks.

Having the Summer project list helps but I try to be flexible when things don't work out as planned.

I have a goal oriented husband who measures his success for the day by how much he gets done. It makes it hard for me since I'm always working around his plans and must be very adaptable.

Mrs.J.

anonymous said...

You have a very colorful wash line, I love it :)

Thank you for sharing your day with us. I love how organized you are. It inspires me to try to do better myself.

Mrs. J.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Lydia, I must agree that some days go so fast, and I have to think, now what all did I get accomplished today! I am always so thankful for the day of rest.
Being a homemaker is the most wonderful ministry and an honor.
A day in my home is so precious and valuable.May you have a wonderful week ahead!
Roxy

Andrea R said...

I love this post! It also helps me to be organized and have a list of things that need completion.

God Bless!

Sarah R said...

I just recently lost my job of 13 years. I've been home now for two months. I am amazed at how busy I am. I work just as much now as I ever did when I was earning a paycheck. However, my house is cleaner, the laundry is done, and I am making great meals because I finally have time! I've lost about five pounds because I am not running to the drive thru when I'm late. This is the calmest and happiest I've been in a very, very long time.